Chapter 28

Ben sighed as he straightened his beanie once more. This was pretty much proof that he was out of his mind but he knew he needed to go through with it. He was going back to the Isle. Ahead of Mal and the other VKs. Because he needed to ask one person there a very important question.

"Are you sure you don't want me coming with you?" Akiho asked as he sat on Ben's bed.

"I've got Lonnie coming with," Ben said. "Besides, you've got classes if you got captured? I'm not going to be the reason you don't graduate on time."

"Couldn't you just call Lord Hades?" Emir asked, leaning against Ben's wardrobe. "I mean, didn't Carlos say there were phones on the Isle?"

"He did but he neglected to point out that there was no cell service there which I discovered on my first trip to the Isle," Ben told him. "Courtesy of my father. If I want to ask Lord Hades anything, I need to go in person. And besides, at least I'm telling you two. Plus Mal and the others are going to be meeting me there anyway—we're cutting the ribbon on Mal's hospital and Carlos' safe house today."

"And what do we do if Mal asks where you are?"

"Don't tell her," Ben chuckled as he put on his jacket. "Come on guys, I'll be gone for an hour. Two tops. Besides, Mal's off with Evie and Snow looking at castles for Evie before they all go over to the Isle. She won't even know I'm gone until I meet her there."

"Be careful okay?" Akiho told him. "You said that they mentioned rules the last time you went. What are they?"

"Rules one and two, I don't leave their sight, rule three, I don't talk to anyone unless they talk to them first, rule four no going off on my own, rule five don't get too 'touchy feely', rule six, no thank you's, please's or sorry's and rule seven, don't go near Jafar's shop, the Evil Queen's place or Hell Hall."

"So you're breaking about all of those rules by only taking Lonnie and going on ahead of them," Emir nodded.

"Pretty much," Ben chuckled as he grabbed his keys. "Think you two can avoid any major, king worthy disasters until I get back?"

"Who do you take us for?"

"Hopefully people who make good choices," Ben said.

"You'd need new friends if you think that," Emir chuckled and Ben shook his head as he headed out. Quickly meeting Lonnie by the car, Ben grinned.

"You gonna tell me what was so important I had to leave school on one of my only free weekends?" Lonnie asked.

"We're going to the Isle," Ben told her as he put the car into gear.

"Without Mal, Jay or the others?"

"Exactly," Ben nodded, smirking a little as he heard Lonnie mention Jay by name but Evie and Carlos got regulated to 'the others'. Lonnie could deny it all she wanted but Ben knew there was something going on between her and Jay. "Well, more like ahead of Mal, Jay or the others. There's something I need to do and I can't risk Mal finding out about it just yet."

Lonnie looked at him questioningly before giving Ben a small smile. "You're going to ask for permission from Lord Hades aren't you?"

"...was it that obvious?"

"Ben, we've been friends how long?" Lonnie asked as Ben made his way to the Isle. "While I don't always know what goes through your mind, I can very easily guess. Besides, you love Mal—anyone with eyes can see it, and she loves you. Truthfully the whole needing to ask for permission thing rings a bit old fashioned for my taste."

"I know, and honestly if this was any other parent I'd probably consider not doing it," Ben told her. "But this is Lord Hades. I mess this up and not only could he say no but also my soul becomes his plaything when I die. Plus, you know, I'm not exactly in his good books after he saw my fight with Mal in the last viewing we had."