3. Faceless Faces

Sneaky sneaky.

Shhh.

Don't trip.

Step left, the right will creak.

How did you ever live without us? Hahaha!

Hush... Let her think.

        Time slipped by without notice as she walked away from the bed she had slept in with her strength threatening to fail her. The hall ended in a room with couches separated by a rug that held the coffee table sitting between the two. Shelves full of knowledge lined the right wall while the left held a long shelf more akin to a table that carried her possessions.

        A dark cloak lined with fur - cleaner than it had ever been since its creation - and a flicker of a smile found her while her fingers pressed into its large hood that she could lose herself in.

A smile?

A smile!

Heh, how long will it last this time?

Enjoy it.

Hold it close.

Don't forget the rest.

        She carefully took it, pulling it around her shoulders before snapping its straps into place across her chest. Her fingers - whose nails were too short from anxiety and work - gingerly gripped the cloak's edges, guiding it to embrace her with its inviting warmth.

Soft.

So soft.

Where did you get it, Reena?

Whose was it?

Keep it close.

She loves it.

        A soft sigh escaped her as she reveled in the familiar comfort as it should be - dry, warm, and not reeking of horrible decisions. After a moment her eyes drifted to her other possessions. An old sword that's never failed her father, her brother nor her, rested within its sheath that was fixed to a belt. Tied to the ring of its pommel was the vibrant blue ribbon her mother always used to tie back her own hair with.

Distant memories.

Attempts to hold on to the ripped away past.

Struggling to remember.

Her heart is hurting.

Her sorrow remembers its place.

Oh well... At least the cloak worked for a moment.

        She carefully pulled the belt on so the sword could reclaim its throne upon her left hip. A leather pouch was all that remained on the counter, and she fixed it to her right hip before checking its contents. Inside was a little booklet, bound in leather with a small blade - no longer than her hand - tucked away in its pages to serve as a bookmark. Beneath the booklet were gold coins, along with flint and steel, and a small leather pouch full of resin. Once her items were secured, her eyes traveled the room once more before resting on the door.