Tea time

"You are in the presence of his majesty Kim Jukan. Step forward and state your name."

The man standing next to the throne yelled these things at her father while Jungeun and her father were bowing deeply in front of the King. Even though she couldn't see, she heard a smile in the king's voice.

"No need for such things when it comes to my fierce general, lion of the east. You can stand up now Jungmin." The king said with a friendly but authoritative voice. "Introduce this young man to me."

"This is my son Kim Junghyun. He is at your service as I am your majesty." Said her father putting his hand on Jungeun's back. "I've taught him everything that a warrior should now. Now it's time he polishes those skills and becomes the greatest warrior these lands have ever seen."

Jungeun, still her head bowed, blushed lightly at her father's claim. She was good with her sword, she knew that but hearing compliments from her stoic father meant a lot.

"Very well Jungmin. I trust you to train your boy fully in three years' time. After that, he will become my last daughter's, my sun's personal guard." The king announced firmly. "Raise your head boy. Do you accept to be Princess Jiwoo's guard? To preserve your grace's honor and safety?"

Jungeun, even though she felt like she could burst under the burning stare of the king, raised her head as well as her voice, and with the manliest voice, she could manage she replied. "Your wish is my command and you and your family's safety is my duty, your grace."

The king's expression softened as he raised his hand. "Bring the princess to meet this fine young man."

As if she was waiting just outside, the princess came in seconds later.

Jungeun had to admit that this girl was the prettiest one she ever saw. Her eyes shining with life, her hair neatly braided and styled over her head, her silk dress flowing with motion... It was obvious that she was a princess even without being said. As she was walking forward to stand by her father, they locked eyes for the first time. Jiwoo smiled briefly as she climbed those stairs to reach the throne. Jungeun immediately bowed with respect.

"This young boy is Kim Junghyun, my sun. Memorize his face for he will be with you for a long time."

"As you wish, your majesty." She said with a muffled voice as she examined her with curious eyes. Jungeun, even though she blushed like a flower, kept her head low.

"Now, everyone except General Jungmin leaves the throne room."

As her father gently nudged her to leave she bowed for the last time before quickly exiting the room, the princess following behind.

"You, Kim Junghyun, stop right there." She heard the princess say. "I would like to talk to you."

Jungeun stuttered as she turned to face her. "I don't think that would be appropriate, your grace."

"I will be the judge of that. Follow me."

Nothing was left to do but obey the princess, so she did. She followed Jiwoo to a garden, where servants laid down a tea tray as well as cushions for them to sit on.

As the princess sat down gracefully, Jungeun kneeled across from her. There was an awkward silence before the princess finally spoke up. "Why do you look like a girl, Kim Junghyun-sshi?"

Jungeun felt the tea slowly go down her throat as she panicked inside. "I have eight older sisters, your grace. It's a tradition you could say."

Jiwoo giggled prettily behind her hand. "You are a funny person then."

Jungeun blushed at the compliment once again. What was happening to her nowadays? "I try to be entertaining, your grace."

Jiwoo waved her hand towards her. "From what I understand we will be spending a lot of time together, Junghyun-sshi. You shouldn't have to pay your respects in every sentence, that will soon get tiring. You can call me Jiwoo."

Jungeun bowed her head as she refused. "It will not be seen as appropriate if I speak of you so casually, your grace. I can't accept that. However, you can call me whatever you desire, my princess."

Jiwoo's smile turned into a pout in mere seconds. "You dare to disobey direct orders from your princess, Junghyun-sshi?"

Jungeun, still keeping her head down, nodded in shame. This was such a conundrum. "I do, your grace, as I beg for your forgiveness. I am not someone who's worthy enough to speak so casually. I apologize sincerely."

Jiwoo, not letting go of her pout, sighed. "Fine then, be all proper for all I care. But until you do as I say I also refuse to call your Junghyun-sshi. The name somehow doesn't suit you anyway." She said, looking Jungeun directly in the eye. "So I'll call you Wangohan-sshi, as I so desire."

Jungeun's eyes widened with surprise at the nickname. "If you see fit, your grace."

Jiwoo sighed again in frustration. "When will you become my guard, Wangohan-sshi?"

Jungeun, even though she felt slightly irritated at the nickname, answered politely. "When my training is complete, your grace. Your father, his majesty ordered me to be ready in three years."

"I don't suppose I'll see you much until then. Pity. I enjoyed your company so far." The princess said with a hint of sadness in her voice. Jungeun couldn't figure out why would the princess want her by her side so persistently. A princess could demand anyone to be by her side and they would, so why her?

"I suppose, your grace," Jungeun confirmed. "Although I will be your guard three years later, you can still summon me anytime you desire, my princess."

Amused by the sudden glint of joy in Jiwoo's eyes Jungeun smiled brightly. As Jiwoo opened her mouth to speak, a servant rushed down to where they were sitting. Jiwoo gestured her to speak.

"Your grace, I must escort your guest back. General Kim Jungmin is leaving the palace and requested his son to follow his suit. If you would, Kim Junghyun-sshi?" She said, her hand politely pointing at the entrance.

"Very well, Yerim. You can take him." She said as she sipped her tea. She made eye contact with Jungeun as she stood up. "I will wait for the day you guard me, patiently. Please hurry with your training and make sure the princess is safe and sound, Wangohan-sshi. You may leave now."

Jungeun bowed down once again as her cheeks heated up. "I will, your grace. I wish you a pleasant day."

Jiwoo, without looking at her face for the last time, ordered her to leave with a wave of her hand, her face blank and beautiful as a porcelain doll.

Jungeun made her way towards outside, feeling her heart beat faster than ever. Today was so strange, she thought, full of blushing and meaningless heartbeat acceleration.

Seeing her father at the end of the stairs cleared her mind. She had a lot to do. She was expected to do a lot.