Jolly Ol' Junghyun

"Argh!" cried Jiwoo as she swung her sword towards Jungeun with significant effort. Jungeun, feeling a bit annoyed that day, yawned as she dodged her attack.

"I thought we were having improvements, noona. Shame really."

"Are you forgetting that I am still your princess, Kim Junghyun-sshi?" asked Jiwoo as she wiped her sweat off her forehead.

Jungeun snorted mockingly, trying to wire her up. "Well, you are my princess who happens to know how to yield a sword, poorly."

They were standing in a hidden part of the forest that Jungeun discovered during one of her patrol sessions.

Jungeun was looking for herbs for the palace's physician but she got too far from her usual route. She had found this place while she was trying to get back. The area was secluded by huge rocks, disguised as a cave. It was the perfect place to train a princess in secret.

These last two years had been almost hectic with the sneaking out to train and such. The princess, despite being inactive throughout her life, was pretty good with her sword.

"And you are my guard who is apparently going to be a shorty for the rest of his life. You're even shorter than me!" said Jiwoo pettily, attacking her again with both her sword and her words.

"Maybe I'll hit puberty later than the others!" Jungeun argued back, seeming pissed. "Also, this doesn't change the fact that I'm better at fighting than all of those horrendous boys."

"Well, you're a boy too," Jiwoo stated, trying to catch her breath after her attack got blocked again.

"But, I am not horrendous, I am actually quite handsome." said Jungeun referring to herself with a grin.

"So humble, so gracious."

Jungeun sighed knowing the princess' relentless teasing won't end anytime soon. So, she stopped her movements, gesturing Jiwoo to do the same too. "Noona, let's head back. We've been here for a few hours already. Also, you have another lesson."

It always takes a while to convince Jiwoo to stop sparring but Jungeun manages every time. And this one wasn't any different.

"Oh, please, you're just saying this because I was about to defeat you! I mean you look exhausted to me. Maybe I should show mercy and stop this before you collapse with humiliation." Jiwoo said dropping her sword as she struggled to breathe. "Now, give me my fancy clothes and go guard the entrance."

-

The ride back home was pleasant as always with Princess talking her ear off with her infinite rant on the uselessness of her lessons with the governess. Jungeun, nearly memorizing every argument she talked about only had to say that she was right whenever she said her name and nod a few times. Even if she adored the princess, sometimes the only thing she longed for was peace and quiet.

The moment she got off her horse she saw her father standing a few meters away from them looking like he just ate a lemon. She escorted the princess back to her room where the instructor Lee Jangmi was waiting with a stern face. She hurried back to her father, leaving the princess pouting for her attention.

"Welcome, father. What is it that you wanted?" asked Jungeun, bowing deeply.

"Walk with me, son."

Jungeun followed her father as he ordered, panic slowly building up inside her. What could her father want from her? What would make him come to the palace during these hours? It sure wasn't chit-chat.

"Junghyun, are you aware that your father is the greatest general of this country? Are you aware of the power our house has?" her father asked.

"I am, father." She answered, keeping her voice thick.