Mind your tongue

Jungeun, her hands in her lap in a respectful manner, sat in front of Jung Sungman and beside her father. They were eating dinner together to finalize this arrangement. Her father, blissfully unaware of his son's decision, was relaxed and peaceful. In his mind, he wouldn't reject an important figure flat-out and he wouldn't also have to be related.

On the other hand, Jung Sungman looked simply cold. His eyes were tense and calculating. There was nothing even slightly wrong with him, his dress was flawless, his stance was proper, and his expression was an example for all to follow; blank but polite.
Even if Jungeun never wanted to be related to this man in any way she was in a tight spot here. She wanted to help Jinsoul and Haseul but also if their plan didn't go as well as they wanted she would be married to Jinsoul for her entire life.

Maybe it wouldn't be bad, Jungeun thought, she and I love other people but what is our chance of uniting with them and be accepted for who we are? We could love each other in time, be happy later maybe.

Dismissing her thoughts, she focused on her Kkanpung saewu. This was the courtesy of the Treasure keeper. His pockets reached far as his alliances.

"How are things in the guard forces these days, young man? Back in my day, it was strict and at its peak. How did the things get corrupted like this I wonder." The cold man said with a barely-visible frown.

"I am not, fortunately, aware of any corruption, Jung Sung Man-sshi. But it may very well be because of my position's... lonely conditions."

"Ah, yes. The famous lone guard of the youngest princess Kim Jiwoo. And why are you alone in your job exactly? Surely our majesty has more than enough guards that can protect her with you."

Jungeun, slowly starting to feel paranoid about the man's questions, answered as politely as she could. "Our princess has deemed me worthy of friendship and honor by giving me the position as her sole guard. Her Grace dislikes being in a crowd, that's why she requires only one guard."

"Pardon my intrusion but as you know Jung Sungman-sshi, I am a man of action, not kind words and dolled-up sentences. Let's get to the point, shall we?" Her father said, his impatience showing in his voice. He sure wasn't a politician.

"Very well then. As you know I am offering my daughter, Jung Jinsoul to your son. This marriage is convenient for both sides. Are you accepting my proposition?" Jung Sungman asked, with a hint of disdain in his voice.
"It is not up to me to make a decision about a grown man's life. Junghyun, son, what is your opinion?" said Jungmin looking at his daughter with a sly grin.

"Thank you for your understanding, father. I am a man who can make his own decisions and what kind of a man would reject Jinsoul, a beautiful delicate flower? I am honored to accept your proposal."

A few noticeable things occurred at the same time. Her father's grin turned upside down and his eyes started to burn with anger. Jung Sungman, however, was noticeably thrilled.

"How wonderful! I may finally have a son to be proud of after all!" he said jokingly. He already had two sons who were working for the majesty as well.

"I am happy to cheer you, Jung Sungman-sshi."

"Congratulations my son. I always support your decisions." Said her father, his grip unusually tight on her shoulder. He wasn't happy, alright.

"Then let's celebrate with soju."

-

"WHAT IN THE FUCKING HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, BOY? WHO THE FUCK LET YOU SAY YES?" yelled her father as soon as they entered the house, both a little tipsy. He grabbed her shoulders and shook her to her core. "ANSWER ME, YOU ROTTEN WENCH!"

"Mind your tongue old man." Slurred Jungeun, poking his chest a bit too drunk and courageous. "You might be my father, but I am not your fucking son. I am a woman who has fucking breasts and guess what, no fucking penis! And I'm sick and tired of you pushing me around like some tool for your political games. Isn't it enough that you force me to live as a man?"

"YOU DARE SPEAK TO YOUR FATHER LIKE THAT, BOY? HAVEN'T I THOUGHT YOU ANY RESPECT?" He said, his voice waking up the household. He tried to swing his fist towards her but Jungeun was not a meek prey. She grabbed his fist and in seconds he was on the floor, his arm bent in an unnatural way and his face twisted with alcohol, anger, and pain.

"You listen to me, old man. I am not that weak little girl anymore. You can't make me do things with a show of force. I can beat you into a pulp, you are not in shape. You have to treat me with respect or I will spill your dirty secrets to the emperor and you will be executed." Jungeun said, alcohol in her blood adding fuel to her anger she kept in for years. "I accepted that old chap's girl because she knows. She figured out our secret and she was fine with it. You hear that? She is completely fine with me not having a cock! How often do you run into noble girls suitable for marrying your daughter?"

"Stop assuming that I am an idiot who can't think of anything on her own. I know the political games better than you, had to learn them to hide among them and I know how to play those pawns."

With those last words, she let go of the man's arm and let him slam to the ground face first. She didn't even look back to check on him when she closed her door with all her strength.