14 - "Triplets No More"

Cilia felt like her life was moving in slow motion

Cilia felt like her life was moving in slow motion. She'd been called in by local homicide detectives to identify a dead body they believed to be missing Iris Hunter. Cilia had a bad feeling deep down that it was her sister. Iris was no survivalist, if someone wanted to do something bad to her they could. She was hoping it was the wrong person. She asked the detective but he said he didn't know.

Cilia was sure the detective knew. They were identical twins, he could just look at the face and tell her over the phone since he was at the coroner already; but they weren't allowed to do that. Only family were allowed to identify.

Cilia did the basics like brush her teeth and shower, but didn't feel like makeup and fancy clothes. She got dressed in a sweatsuit and some sneakers and put her hair in a low ponytail. She wasn't in the mood for breakfast or to do any other thing she normally would do.

Monte was put in charge of the car shop for today. Though Kris was the oldest worker there, Monte was actually very responsible. So she left him to overseer everything while she had to attend personal business.

Lotus and White Locus couldn't make the time to identify the body, so Cilia would be meeting up with Ember and Dalton.

Cilia sat on the couch, head in her hand while she waited for Allele to finish peeing. Once he did they left out of the house. He drove while Cilia just sat in the passenger seat looking out the window. Allele already knew it was Iris, he had made the phone call to Keshawn and Breeze and they followed his request to let Iris be found.

The ride was all the way to Queens so it took a little over fifty minutes, even on the highway. Once they arrived and parked across the street from the building, Cilia got cold feet.

"I don't want to go. I don't want to do it." She said, just looking at the doors of the building. The doors were a fire truck red, the knobs long and silver. "What if it's her? What if that's Iris laying there?"

Allele got out and walked around the car. He opened the passenger side but this time didn't know what to say, because he knew for a fact it was her. So he wouldn't even keep playing this game of telling her to stay hopeful. He was just preparing himself for the aftermath of her seeing her dead sister.

"If you wanna stay in the car and have Dalton or your mother tell you, do that. But they're waiting on you to do it together. So if you want a minute to gather yourself and then go in, or you just want the news passed on to you let me know. Just take your time and think about it." Allele said.

Cilia did as she sat there thinking about it. She couldn't stomach seeing Iris on a metal slab if it was her. But she couldn't let someone else tell her it was her sister. She would have to see for herself. What if they identified the wrong person and it wasn't her? Only she would truly know if it was Iris or not.

Cilia nodded her head, she took a deep breath and released it. "Okay, I'm gonna go in." She grabbed Allele's hand but he was the one leading her as they walked across the street.