1

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

It was a normal night. I spent the evening at my parent's convenience store, handling customers while my parents were at home. I don't mind being alone, my parents were hard workers and they deserved a break once in a while, besides I like how calm the store is. The soft hum of the refrigerator and freezer and the quiet chatter of customers reminded me of my childhood when I would run around the store. Now as a third-year, and a part-time worker at the store, I had to act more responsible.

The loud chime attached to the entrance rang, and a bunch of boys clad in matching red tracksuits entered the store. Even though I do this job to help out my parents, dealing with customers, especially teenage boys, is something I despise. They're all so loud, and this group is no exception. I put on my fakest smile, however, and cheerfully welcomed the boys to the store.

"Hello, welcome to l/n's convenience, let me know if there is anything I can help you with."

The boys look over, and some even smile back, but the majority of them ignore me, except for one. He approaches the counter space, and I see his appearance better. He has a shaved head with a bleached mohawk, and his presence in the store was intimidating. Even though I don't like judging based on appearances, I would probably stay far away from him in a public setting.

"Oi, Yamamoto, get your food so we can leave, stop staring at that girl," one of the boys said.

I glance over at the owner of the voice and immediately notice his hair. I look in confusion as his hair seems to defy gravity. His hair stands out straight on his head, except for a fringe covering one of his eyes. It's a strange hairstyle but oddly fits him.

"I am sorry for him," he apologizes, "he has a staring problem when it comes to girls."

"It's no problem, things like this happen all the time during work," I said back to him.

He frowns a little and drags the shaved hair boy away. The group of boys continue to scan the snacks inside the store and make small talk. I couldn't hear what they were saying, not that I wanted to, so I started watering the plants inside the store. Taking care of the plants started as a way to alleviate some of the boredom I faced when working, but eventually, I grew to love watering them. Due to my hobby, the wall behind the counter is filled with shelves of different plants.

I start taking care of my newest edition to my collection, red hydrangeas until the boys decide to get meat buns and come back to the counter to pay. The boy with gravity-defying hair shows up to the counter to pay and looks over at my flowers.

"They're really pretty, all your plants are, but these are absolutely gorgeous," he says.

"Thank you, I only bought them a while ago, but they have been adjusting very well to the new environment. I am proud of them."

He pays with cash and hands the bag of meat buns to a short boy who starts giving them out to the others. I give him his change and put on a real smile this time as I watch the boy with gravity-defying hair snatch a Nintendo Switch from one of his friends to force him to eat, and wish the boys goodbye.

"Thank you for shopping at l/n convenience! We hope to see you again soon."