1

It was nearing Christmas in Doncaster, England.

There was a light dusting of fresh snow on the hard ground, and the temperature had plummeted overnight.

In the town centre people hurried, buying last minute Christmas gifts.

Nobody noticed the young boy, sat on a bench on his own.

He wore a thick winter coat, hat, scarf, gloves and Wellington boots.

In one hand he had a much loved Teddy bear, in the other a worn blue small blanket, more than likely a comfort blanket.

"Mummy." He cried quietly, looking around in the hope that his Mother would come back soon.

He had been sat there for an hour, cold and extremely hungry.

Nobody took any notice in the hustle and bustle of Christmas shoppers.

The snow began to fall harder, the boy shivered as tears fell faster down his cold, red cheeks.

"Hey there. Where's your Mummy and Daddy?" A lady asked. She sat on the bench beside him.

The boy looked up at her, but said nothing.

She took a tissue from a packet in her handbag and gently wiped his tears and the snot that was dripping into his mouth.

"What's your name?"

The boy looked blankly.

A couple of other people had stopped now, finally the boy was getting noticed.

"Who is he?" "Where are his parents?" "Why is he here?" They asked.

The boy cried harder.

"He's freezing. Poor boy. I'm going to take him to the security centre, I hope  his parents have just lost him and are looking for him." The nice lady said.

"Come with me sweetie. Let's go find your Mummy and Daddy." She said kindly.

The boy was scared.

"It's ok. You're safe with me." She smiled.

The boy nodded and the lady picked him up carefully. His trousers were wet.

He rested his head against her shoulder, exhausted.

She carried him through the shopping centre until they reached the security centre.

She knocked on the door and a man opened it. "Can I help?" He asked.

"This little boy was sitting outside alone. I was wondering if anyone had reported him missing?"

"I'm afraid not." He replied."

"Could you put out an announcement? Maybe they haven't noticed he's missing."

The man nodded and got out a pen and paper. "I need details. Where did you find him?"

"Outside McDonald's in the centre. On a bench."

The man wrote it down then announced it over the tannoy that were all around the centre.

"Can we wait here til they come and get him?"

"Sure. Hey kid are you hungry? Want a biscuit?"

The boy nodded then hid himself against the lady.

She took a biscuit from the man and gave it to the boy. "Here you are honey." The boy took the biscuit and ate it quickly.

Time went by and the boys parents still hadn't arrived. The security man had put the announcement put five times now. Someone must be worried sick that their boy was missing.