Chapter 1.

Kageyama was happy. It may not sound like a big deal, but for most of his life he hadn't really focused in being happy, he'd just focused on being the best. This had resulted in him not enjoying his life as much as he could have. What had caused him to make this change? Shoyo Hinata. He'd first met Hinata in middle school when they played against each other in a volleyball match. After that they ended up going to the same high school and were enemies at first, but quickly became partners and friends. Then, Kageyama had started to fall in love with Hinata. It took a few months, but he finally had the courage to ask him out. Hinata had gleefully said yes and he'd found out later that Hinata had been wanting to ask out Kageyama as well. Their first date had gone amazingly, and Kageyama remembered it well. They'd gone to have a picnic on the beach and Hinata told Kageyama he didn't think he'd run into the water fully clothed. Kageyama had done it without a second thought, pulling Hinata in with him. They'd splashed around in the ocean for hours, dunking each other underwater and laughing. They'd only stopped once it was starting to get dark, and walked back to Kageyama's house with their picnic basket, soaking wet and shivering. Then they'd finished the night by changing into fuzzy pajamas, making hot chocolate, and cuddling up to each other while watching a movie. Hinata had fallen asleep on Kageyama's shoulder and Kageyama had run his fingers through Hinata's hair while listening to his steady breathing.

That was two months ago, and every day with Hinata since then had been just as perfect. Kageyama was appreciating his life more than he ever had, and he loved every second he got to spend with Hinata. Today, they had decided to go on a little coffee date after practice and then wander around the city for a bit. Neither of them could drive, so they walked together from their high school. Hinata was full of energy as usual and bounced along, talking energetically and pointing out any animal he saw.

"Look at that dog!" Hinata said, waving his arm towards the other side of the street, where a very small fuzzy creature that looked more like a cotton ball than a dog was being walked by its owner. Hinata was so absorbed by the dog that he wasn't paying attention to where he was going and accidentally stepped in front of the path of a bicyclist. Luckily, Kageyama was holding Hinata's hand, and he was able to pull Hinata back so he didn't get hit. Hinata bumped into Kageyama, seemingly oblivious to what had happened because he just continued talking about the dog, "Did you see it Kageyama? It was so cute. Maybe we should get a dog together."

Kageyama laughed, "I don't think we need a tiny energetic creature that doesn't listen most of the time. I already have you after all."

Kageyama expected Hinata to get a little upset at this, but he didn't, "Aw Kageyama, that's why it would be perfect! I really think we should. If we don't get a dog maybe we can get a different pet?"

Kageyama shrugged, "I'll think about it, but it would be difficult for us to own an animal together since we don't even live in the same house. Maybe we should wait until we graduate."

Hinata frowned, "I hate it when your arguments make sense," then he whipped his head around and his grin came back, "Look Kageyama, It's a squirrel!" Kageyama looked down at Hinata, he may be a bit of a dumbass, but Hinata was his dumbass and Kageyama wouldn't trade him for the world.

They reached the coffee shop pretty fast because about halfway there, Hinata had decided he wanted to race. Hinata hadn't let go of Kageyama's hand though, but they were relatively close to the same speed so Kageyama just had to keep up his pace. They called it a tie because they were next to each other the entire time and burst through the doors to the coffee shop at the same moment. They weren't exactly subtle about the way they came in so almost everyone in the coffee shop turned to look at them.

Kageyama ignored all the stares and pulled Hinata to the counter so they could order. Kageyama got a coffee with a lot of milk, and Hinata got a hot chocolate. Hinata didn't like coffee, which made Kageyama glad. Hinata was already so full of energy and Kageyama had no idea what would happen if Hinata put caffeine in his body, but Kageyama assumed it wouldn't be good. It would probably be something like taking care of a hyperactive toddler who'd just had sugar for the first time.

They decided to go outside and go for a walk while they had their drinks. Hinata sipped his hot chocolate and asked, "You've been pretty quiet today, what's on your mind?" Kageyama was honest with him, "I was just thinking about you." Hinata grinned, "About how much you love me?"

"No," Kageyama responded, "about how much of a pain you can be sometimes."

"Hey!" Hinata said, "It's not like you're perfect either."

"That's fair," Kageyama agreed, "but I'm a lot closer than you are. I'm taller for one thing." Hinata hit Kageyama's arm, "You know that's something I can't control!"

"Okay fine," Kageyama conceded, "Plus there are a few advantages to your height. Like the fact that I can do this," Kageyama leaned down and kissed Hinata's forehead. Hinata smelled like oranges. The reason for this was because a few weeks ago Kageyama had bought Hinata orange scented shampoo, joking that since he already looked like an orange he might as well smell like one too. Kageyama wasn't sure if Hinata was actually going to use it, but he did as soon as he took his next shower, and had continued using it ever since.

When Kageyama straightened up again, Hinata cheerfully said, "I can do that too!" He stood on his tiptoes and tried to kiss Kageyama back but he was way too short to reach Kageyama's forehead, so Hinata lifted up his hand and tried to pull Kageyama's head down so he could. Kageyama let him do it but right before Hinata kissed him, he moved his head up so Hinata kissed Kageyama's lips instead. Once they'd pulled away from each other, Hinata looked up at Kageyama, "I'm still determined to kiss your forehead. I'll do it when you least expect it so you can't stop me. You probably didn't let me do it just now because you know I'll do it better than you.""There's no way you'd be able to do it better than me," Kageyama said and he kissed Hinata on top of his head again, nuzzling into his hair for a couple of seconds before standing up again.

Hinata didn't seem to mind this at all, but he did say, "I guess you'll just have to wait and see." They continued walking along, sipping their drinks, until Hinata spotted a toy store. He tugged on Kageyama's sleeve, "We have to go in there!"

Kageyama rolled his eyes, "You really do act like a child," but he didn't put up any fight against Hinata as he dragged Kageyama inside. Hinata seemed amused by everything they were selling. He picked up a toy car and made it drive all over Kageyama's chest. Then, he grabbed a toy airplane and started leaping around the store while holding it in the air. Kageyama sighed and walked over to the stuffed animals. He moved aside the ones in the front and found himself staring at the ugliest plush dog he had ever seen. It was perfect. He picked it up and bought it before he could convince himself not to, making sure Hinata didn't notice. He shoved the dog into his pocket, and went to find Hinata. Kageyama found him looking intently at a display of light up squishy balls.

He was holding two of them and as Kageyama approached, Hinata turned around and held them out, "I think we should buy all of these!" he announced.

Kageyama took them from him and placed them back in the container, "There is nothing you would use them for. Let's not get them." Kageyama began leaving the store and Hinata followed reluctantly, glancing back at the light up balls several times. They finished their drinks and threw them in the nearest trash can. Hinata laced his fingers through Kageyama's and pulled him along through the other people on the sidewalk. Hinata seemed determined to get somewhere, but Kageyama had no clue where that was, so he let Hinata guide him.