Chapter 18.

Kageyama liked Dr. Sakai, not a lot, but she could be much worse. She'd come to see Hinata almost every day, to check on his vitals, as well as other things. This meant she also saw Kageyama almost every day, because he was spending so much time there. Since Hinata wasn't really up for talking whenever she came, she tried to strike up a conversation with Kageyama. He didn't ever say much, but she found out that Hinata and Kageyama were dating not just friends, and she became kind of invested in their relationship. She'd learned about it because she'd found out Kageyama was sleeping at the hospital most nights, and was concerned but let it slide when Kageyama explained how much he cared for Hinata. She didn't pry too much, but she let Kageyama know she was rooting for them.

Kageyama got back to the room, and heard that the topic of conversation had changed to animals, everyone glanced up when Kageyama entered, but continued talking. Bokuto was saying that their cat was adjusting well to living with them.

"It keeps bossing you around though," Akaashi said, "You've fed it more than you should and it's gaining weight rapidly."

"What am I supposed to do when it looks at me so sadly?" Bokuto asked.

"Not feed it. It's not actually sad, you're playing into its hands, or paws I guess," Akaashi told him, "I'll hide the food and I'll just feed it the recommended amount."

"That's probably a good idea," Bokuto agreed, "Otherwise I'll keep getting fooled by it. It's just too clever."

"That is one possibility, yes," Akaashi said.

"Kenma and I are getting our cat in the next couple days," Kuroo interjected.

"Yeah, and I still can't believe you aren't letting me change his name to something other than Peanut Butter" Kenma said with disgust.

"Stop whining, you'll get used to it. You can call him Pea for short if you want," Kuroo suggested.

"You know I'm not going to do that," Kenma told him.

They probably would've continued arguing about the cat's name, but Dr. Sakai came in and they fell silent.

"I'm going to need you guys to leave, we're going to run some tests, it may be a couple hours before you can see him again, so I suggest going out and doing something while you wait." She got Kageyama's phone number and told him that the hospital would call him once they could come back. He thanked her and they left the room.

Kageyama did not like waiting, he had just gotten Hinata back and now he couldn't see him for a while. The other four tried their best to entertain Kageyama to pass the time quicker. They took him out of the hospital and went to look at the shops nearby, like he and Kuroo had done before. They even went in a grocery store, and Kageyama decided to buy a bunch of oranges to have on hand if Hinata got hungry.

They also picked up some things for dinner, and Akaashi tried to stop Bokuto from buying a large case of cupcakes but Bokuto argued, "It's Hinata's first day awake in so long. We should celebrate!"

"Fine, but don't eat too many and make yourself sick," Akaashi told him.

"That's part of the fun," Bokuto complained.

"You say that, but I'm the one who has to deal with you when you're grumpy because you feel bad," Akaashi said, "So I'll be watching you."

As they were leaving the store, Kageyama's phone rang. It was the hospital.

"Oh, that was faster than I expected," Kageyama commented before answering it. They basically were just calling to tell him Hinata was done with all of his tests and was now back in his room, so they could come back if they wanted. Kageyama hung up and informed the others of what he'd just been told. They made their way back to the hospital hurriedly. There was no need to rush but Kageyama still wanted to get there as soon as possible so Hinata didn't have to be alone for too long. Just as he thought that, his phone rang again. He glanced down to see that Hinata was calling. He picked it up immediately, "Is something wrong?"