Chapter 2.

They arrived at an animal shelter.

"Hinata, what are we doing here? I told you we're not getting a pet together," Kageyama reminded him.

Hinata pouted at Kageyama, "You don't need to get so worked up. We're just here to look around, we don't need to get anything." Kageyama was still apprehensive, he knew that despite what Hinata said, he would ask for every single animal in that shelter.

Hinata pushed open the door and Kageyama's thoughts were confirmed. Hinata ran up to all the different cages, reaching his fingers through the bars and trying to pet everything. This turned out to be a very bad idea because not all of the animals wanted to be petted so Hinata got a few bites and scratches on his hands, but he didn't seem to mind. Kageyama stayed in one spot and became fascinated by a parrot. It could learn to repeat things so Kageyama spent the next few minutes training it to say something. After he was done, he called Hinata over.

"This is my favorite thing here," Kageyama told him, "look at what it can do, dumbass," he waited a moment and then the parrot squawked, "Dumbass! Dumbass!" Kageyama grinned, "See, it's perfect."

Hinata looked a bit worried, "Maybe not, I don't need multiple people calling me a dumbass every second of the day."

Kageyama's eyes widened in mock surprise, "But how will you remember that you are?" Hinata didn't respond, he just shook his head and walked back over to the dogs. Kageyama followed him, leaving the parrot, who was still repeating 'dumbass' over and over again. Kageyama hoped the workers at the animal shelter wouldn't hate him for it. Hinata kept going to up to each dog and asking Kageyama if they could get it, and when he said no, Hinata just went to the next one and the cycle repeated. Eventually, there weren't any more dogs left, so Hinata moved on to the cats. Kageyama quickly put his finger to Hinata's lips to tell him to be quiet.

"Look, I know you're going to ask for every animal in this shelter, but you already know my answer, so we might as well just leave already," Kageyama told him. He put his arm around Hinata's shoulders and pushed him back outside.

Hinata seemed disappointed, "Why are you so against animals Kageyama?"

Kageyama looked down at his feet, "Well, animals don't usually like me. I think they might be scared of me, I would like to get some sort of pet with you eventually, but I don't think I'd be good at taking care of it if it hates me, which it probably will," Kageyama reached into his pocket and pulled out the stuffed dog, "I did get you this though, it may not be the same, but at least a fake animal won't be frightened of me."

Hinata took it and examined it. Kageyama felt terrible, its fur was patchy, its eyes were lopsided, and it was missing part of its ear. Kageyama continued speaking, "It probably seems stupid, but I got that one instead of the others because even though it's a bit of a mess, it doesn't mean it's not good. Just like us." Hinata's eyes were watering, Kageyama wanted to die right then and there, "Oh, you hate it. That's fine, I knew it was dumb to get such an ugly one, I'm the worst boyfriend ever." Then, to Kageyama's surprise, Hinata rushed forward and gave Kageyama a hug, burying his face in Kageyama's shoulder.

"I love it," Hinata whispered, "and I love you. You're the perfect boyfriend, and if we ever do get a real pet, I'm sure it'll love you too."

"There's no need to get so emotional about it," Kageyama said, but he pressed Hinata in closer and smiled. Kageyama was so full of joy, Hinata really was the best person he knew. Kageyama would do everything in his power to stay with him for as long as he could. Kageyama hoped that Hinata would actually like him long enough for them to move in together and get a pet. Even if the pet hated him, it would mean Hinata didn't, and if he could be with Hinata forever that would be the best.

They stayed hugging until Kageyama pushed Hinata away from himself a bit so he could lean down and kiss him. Once they finished, Kageyama kept his face right in front of Hinata's and said quietly, "I love you too." He'd said it to Hinata many times before, but every time Hinata's expression got a little bit brighter and that always made Kageyama feel amazing. They continued walking down the street, looking through all the different store windows. As they walked Hinata tried to pick out a name for his new stuffed dog.

"Kageyama, what do you think it should be?" Hinata asked.

"It's not alive, it doesn't need a name," Kageyama responded, "Just call it dog."

Hinata pouted, "You're no fun. I think I'm going to call him Crispy!"

Kageyama glared at him, "Crispy?! That's so stupid! That's so much worse than dog."

Hinata held up the dog proudly, "I think it's perfect!"

Kageyama put his face in his hands, "Well I suppose you can call it whatever you want, but I still hate it."

Hinata gave Kageyama a shove, "You'll love it eventually."

"I'm pretty sure I won't," Kageyama said, and he shoved Hinata back, but he didn't use much force. Even so, Hinata stumbled and almost fell off of the sidewalk into the street. Kageyama grabbed him and pulled him close before that could happen.

"I'm sorry," Kageyama said breathlessly, "I didn't mean to do that."

Hinata's response was a bit muffled, because Kageyama was still holding him extremely close, "Don't worry about it, I would've been fine." Hinata pushed away so he could look up into Kageyama's face, "You don't need to look so frightened, I'm not a child."

"But it's still my job to take of you," Kageyama said, "You could've been hit by a car."

Hinata laughed, "That's unlikely, the drivers around here are pretty good and there aren't many cars out. The chances of me getting hit are very slim. I also have amazing reflexes!" to demonstrate he leapt up into the air and onto Kageyama, wrapping his legs around Kageyama's waist.

"That doesn't prove anything," Kageyama told him, "reflexes are all about unconscious movement."

Hinata grinned, "Well, then that's perfect. I move unconsciously all the time. Think about how much I've kicked you in my sleep."

"You've definitely done that a lot," Kageyama grumbled. Hinata beamed at him, "I know you don't mind it that much or you wouldn't let me stay in your bed so often." Then he leaned in and kissed Kageyama on the nose. Kageyama sneezed. He sniffled a bit, "I guess I'm allergic to you."

Hinata kissed him again, "Good. You're cute when you sneeze."

"I'm not cute doing anything, you're probably thinking about yourself," Kageyama corrected him.

"Nope, you're wrong, I'm pretty sure I can recognize cuteness," Hinata insisted.

Kageyama gave in, "You're probably right. You do see it every time you look in the mirror after all." He ruffled Hinata's hair and then changed the topic, "We don't have volleyball practice tomorrow, is there anything fun you want to do with our day off?"

Hinata seemed to remember something, "Oh yeah. I've been meaning to tell you, but I forgot, and got distracted. I was going to tell you yesterday when we were in the park, but then that big herd of ducks walked past. Do you remember that? Wait, is it called a herd or a flock?" Kageyama put a hand on Hinata's shoulder, which made him look back into Kageyama's face.

"Get to the point," Kageyama said.

Hinata shook his head as if to clear it, and then continued, "Anyway, Kenma and Kuroo are coming here tomorrow, and I was thinking we could do a double date with them. Please say yes, I already told Kenma we would be there."

"Yeah that sounds fine, but next time give me more warning, idiot. I'm a very busy man you know," Kageyama told him.

"No, I don't know, because you aren't that busy. That's why you're always hanging out with me," Hinata said.

Kageyama wanted to think of a witty response, but he didn't have anything, so he just punched him, "Come on, you're walking too slow."