Crossing Paths

"MOMMY!" Lilith heard her daughter yell as she frantically looked around. She sounded terrified and Lilith wanted nothing more than to find her.

But Lilith couldn't find her. In the thick forest that surrounded her, she could hear her voice echoing around her, yet she was nowhere in sight.

The forest was full of bare trees, covered in spikes and eyes. They watched her every move, just like her husband was when she was awake. She swore they were silently laughing at her, straying her away from her baby girl.

"AMITY! AMITY? WHERE ARE YOU!" She cried desperately.

Where are you? Where can I find you? Where are you? Are you hurt?

Thoughts raced violently in her head. No matter where she looked, she just couldn't find her. She ran and ran towards the voice, looking around everywhere, calling her name. Yet she just couldn't find her.

She never found her.

Lilith awoke, screaming. She panted as she found herself in her bedroom again. Belos was still fast asleep next to her, much to her disappointment.

She was covered in sweat, her breathing was still frantic and her heart beat like a war drum. Lilith looked to the giant grandfather clock across their bed. It read 3:24 in the morning. The gilded hands gleamed slightly.

She brought her hands to her lips, forcing herself to silence her cries. Lilith forced her body to calm down, despite the violent banging of her head. It was silly to have these dreams now. Her daughter was dead. No matter what she told herself, she knew, deep down, that she was gone. And that Lilith would never be truly happy again.

She laid back down, looking at the moon that was barely shining in the sky. The stars, however, twinkled in the night.

"What constellation is that mommy?"

Lilith had chuckled and wrapped her up in her cloak. "That's the light glyph constellation."

Amity's eyes had lit up in curiosity. She had a natural curiosity for everything, just as she had when she was younger.

"What does it mean?" Lilith could almost laugh at the sight. Amity looked like a tiny roll with big eyes. She looked so adorable she just wanted to hug her for the rest of their lives.

"Wild witches of the time used glyphs to cast magic." Amity frowned at the response. "Why don't they just draw circles like us?" Not understanding the point of evolution.

"They liked doing work." she deadpanned. Humoring the girl.

Lilith clutched her sheets just a bit tighter. I miss you so much my darling. She whispered to herself.

Closing her eyes, she tried not to think too hard about her losses. She tried hard not to think about her sister's face or how hard it must have been for her to maintain her curse. She tried not to think of her daughter or how she must have passed. How scared and alone she must have been before she disappeared.

Lilith had lost her heart that night. She had lost the love of her life. And for a while, she wasn't sure how long she could go on.

There was a constant hollowness in her chest. Like a void that could not be filled no matter what tried to fill it with.

Eventually, sleep caught up to her, and she slept the rest of the night dreamlessly.

--x--

It hurt to live.