Getting Warmer

Lilith can't sleep.

She twists and turns in her bed and struggles against her sheets. The covers are hotter than they usually are, or that just may be her thoughts.

Speaking of thoughts, the ones in her head just wouldn't stay silent.

Amity said that it was like the memories were sinking into her skin. Like she was reliving their memories and could feel the energy radiating off of them. That didn't just happen to anyone.

She even knew their song.

Lilith rolled over in frustration as her thoughts began to race against one another.

The lullaby was written by her long ago. It was a rare song only some of the Emperor's Guard knew. They would sing it when Amity grew bored and begged the court to sing. Steve usually compiled and would happily dance with the girl. She smiles softly at the memory.

But that still didn't answer the question.

There were so many things that fell into place.

Odalia had never announced that she had a third child. Never paraded it around or made some grand party about it like she did with her twins. But then again, the Blight family always did have something against three children. She would want to conceal it for as long as she could, she supposed.

Lilith clutches her sheets at the thought of that.

She said she heard it in her dreams. Not from her parents (though if she did she would be concerned how they found out anyway) or from someone else. It came into her dreams . That had to mean something.

They looked so alike too. The same shade of eyes and though she's overlooked it, her brown roots were the same shade too. And her little habits explained so much. Like how she always had to press her face at her puffy sleeves or how she used to yank at her earrings. There were just too many leads.

No one just dreamed songs. No one just perfectly guessed songs that they've never heard before. That just wasn't possible. Lilith was sure of that.

But... the Blights had no use or reason to keep Amity. It didn't make sense. The more she thought of it, it led to more questions than it did answers.

She sighed, shifting for the last time to face away from the left. Lilith spotted the music box sitting at her nightstand, reflecting all of the moon's light. Smiling, she reached out to grab the small trinket and traced all of its cracks and dents. All the little flaws she loved so much.

She wonders if Amity can still recite all of the lullabies she's heard before.

Titan, she's gone mad. She's already melded them into two people.

Letting out a caged sigh, she puts the gilded box back down in defeat and forces her eyes shut. She doesn't need to do this now. She has important things to do tomorrow. It was best to get to sleep as soon as possible.