An Opening Heart

This wasn't supposed to happen.

Eda didn't have much left in the world, but she was damn sure she was going to hold onto whatever she had left in it.

She was going to hold onto King, even if he didn't pay rent and drove her nuts. She was going to hold onto Owlbert because god dammit is he cute. Hell, she was going to hold onto Hooty. Because who knew how long she was allowed to have all this. Who knew how long it would be before the Titan took all this away from her just like it did with Lilith.

So when a human girl came stumbling out of a portal, well she why not use her for shenanigans and chores?

She didn't think it would lead to this .

Here she was, sitting on the couch. With King on the floor coloring to his heart's desire, with Owlbert snuggled next to him sleeping, and the human girl with her head on her lap reading a book. Eda hadn't realized how domestic this was.

She hadn't expected to get so attached. God, she had been here for less than 3 weeks and she had already made herself so at home. In three weeks she was able to bring down the walls she had spent 9 years building.

None of this was supposed to happen.

"Who's that?" Luz inquired.

Eda looked down to see her looking through her old photo albums. She pointed at a girl with curly red hair and round framed glasses. She wore a blue cap symbolizing her completion of school. There was a little star badge that hung on her uniform. Showing the world that she was a star student. There was a smile of pride and contentment on her face.

Lord her sister was beautiful.

"Ah, that's Lily. The biggest nerd you'll ever meet." She chuckled as she patted the girl's head. There was a melancholy glint in her eyes that went unnoticed by the human.

"Was she your best friend?"

"Even better. She was my sister. We were inseparable in our youth years."

"What happened to you guys?" Luz asked innocently. It's a simple question, with a complicated answer. Eda doesn't really know how to answer that. It wasn't like it was a secret. And it wasn't like she was ashamed of it... it was just kind of personal, and Eda didn't like having weaknesses.

"If it's personal you don't have to tell me. I understand." Luz said, bringing her out of her thoughts. She looked guilty, which Eda wasn't gonna have any of.

"None of that now Kid. Don't you dare apologize either." she demanded when she saw Luz's mouth begin to open. She promptly closed it as she was told. Eda sighed and picked up the book from the human's hands.

"Nothing bad happened. None of that cliche she betrayed me and now we can never be the same bullsh*t."

"That's one snail."

Eda pulled out her wallet and placed the cash into the jar Luz was holding out wordlessly. This was a regular occurrence. Yet another thing to add to the list of domestic things.

"It's complicated." she explained as Luz put down the swear jar.

King had long abandoned his drawing fiasco and had jumped onto Luz's lap. He was holding Owlbert on his head and it occurred to Eda that they had formed a cuddle pile for the third time that day.

She pulled out an old newspaper and pointed at her wanted poster on the back cover. "I'm a criminal. So it's hard to form any connections at all." Luz attentively listened to her, with a look of curiosity that almost made her heart burst.