Chapter fourteen

Mrs Garrett and Mr Garrett were talking in the kitchen last night after the phone call and she told him that my mama found out that she was pregnant which is why mama and James have decided to keep me here so that they can start over with their new baby.

Feburary 24, 1971
Sophie's POV.
Mr and Mrs Garrett have mentioned calling children's services to take me or sending me to a boarding school fast away from Houston, Texas.
They've been even stricter with me since they found out that my mama and James weren't picking me up.
Everyone at the house has been angry at me because of my night terrors that started after the first time that James did what was mentioned a few chapters back.
Everyone hates me here and I don't know what I did that was wrong..
I did what they all had asked me to do, I was polite, I stayed quiet and bit my tongue about everything that was happening even though my life is crumbling apart..I don't know what else they want or expect from me.

February 28, 1971
Still Sophie's POV.
I've decided to run away.
I'm going to take the savings jar from the counter and take a train to my daddy..atleast he still cares..I hope..

A Few Hours Later.
Everyone is asleep and I've gotten my bag packed, the only one that I've got..
I was only supposed to stay for the weekend..over a month ago..
I remember that my daddy lives in Memphis in a place that I believe is called Gracelynn..or maybe Graceland.
After I knew for sure that everyone was in bed I snuck downstairs with my backpack that was filled with all of my stuff, made my way into the kitchen and grabbed the jar from the counter before quickly making my way outside.
I've taken Suzie-Mae's umbrella since it's raining and she broke mine the last time that I visited her house.
After about 30 minutes of walking I made it to the train station, going over to the ticket booth to get a ticket like I had seen my mommy do a few times when we used to have to use the train as transportation for long distances since we didn't have a car.
When I tried to purchase a ticket the ticket-man questioned me a bit more than he had with anyone else.
He was asking where my parents were and saying things like "children shouldn't be traveling alone".
After I told him that my daddy and mommy had gotten divorced so I've had to take the train to visit each of them individually, a lie that I had made up on the spot, he gave me the ticket and pointed me in the direction of where the train would being boarding.