Chapter Thirty-Six.

"Mr Shelby has arrived Ma'am," announces Alice.

I thank her and Ann helps me put on my red coat. Once I have my gloves on, and my purse in my hand, I walk out of the changing room. I walk down the halls, and when I at the top of the stairs, I can see Thomas standing in the entrance.

"What a pleasure to see you," I say.

He looks up to me and a smile illuminates his face when I stand just a few centimetres away from him. Thomas grabs my hand to kiss it before I kiss his cheek.

"Thank you," he murmurs.

"For what?"

"For accepting me"

Thomas and I walk over to his car and he holds the door for me while I sit in. When he drives away, his hand fins mine pretty quickly.

"Ada's back from London," announces Thomas.

"Is she?"

"Yes. She knows you know, but she doesn't know we worked on it"

"You mean, she doesn't know you forgave my outbursts after I forgave your hiding?" I say in a cheerful tone.

"Yes," answers Thomas, a smile on his lips.

"Well, it is going to be quite amusing to see her go all over the place"

"As long as she doesn't kill us," retorts Tommy.

I roll my eyes and lay my head on Thomas' shoulder. "Emma"

"Yes?"

"The night it's going to happen, I want you at my house"

"Why?" I ask, looking up at Thomas.

"Your driver will be at the train, and I will be completing my part of the deal. The only place you'll be safe is in my house. And I want you there when I'll come back"

"I am safe in my house Thomas"

"No, you're not," he retorts.

"Alright. I will be waiting for you at your house"

"Thank you"

***

While Thomas is in another room, chatting with his family, I stand alone in front of his beloved wife's portrait. Grace's face is so angelic and beautiful, I can see why she made Thomas fall madly in love with her. Will someone ever love me the way Thomas loves her?

She is- was, the incarnation of beauty and- well, grace. That woman doesn't look like any other woman I've seen in my life. And I've seen a lot. Russians, Americans, French, Africans; none of them could rival with Grace Shelby.

"Doesn't she look lovely?"

I turn around to this voice and stand frozen when I see Father Hughes walking up to me.

"A pleasure to see you again my child," he says.

I take a step back, not wanting to breathe the same air as this man. "I wish I could say the same"

"Ah, I see you worked out your issues with Thomas Shelby"

"How can you introduce yourself as a man of the Church and be so cruel?"

Father Hughes chuckles. Even his laugh is evil. "How can you stand in an orphan institute with your hands dirty?"

Alright. The Russians told him.

"And before you make any assumption, no, the Russians didn't tell me a thing. They were too scared every time I mentioned your name. They wouldn't even dare to call you Emma-"