Chapter Thirteen.

"I assume you drove here in Ada's car," says Thomas.

"Yes. She did drive me here"

"Well, let me get you home then. The gala starts in a few hours and we both need to get ready"

Thomas invites me to stand up and I put my gloves on. Then, we both walk toward the doors, he grabs his coat, and he is the one to open the doors. Once we step outside of his office, he closes the doors behind us and grabs my hand to help me get down the few stairs. After that, Mr Shelby turns around to look at his secretary.

"Call Michael. Remind him that he has to drive Polly to the hotel at 8. Call Arthur, tell him that if he is doesn't show up, he's dead"

"Sure"

"And Lizzie"

"Yes, Thomas?"

"Tell Ada to take you there"

Miss Stark seems very surprised by that last demand of her employer.

"But, I t-"

"Let's go," says Thomas when he looks at me.

His hand, still holding mine, forces me to follow him throughout the entire building. And when we finally get on the streets, a car stops right in front of us. A woman gets out of it and I can quickly recognize her. Polly Gray.

"Where're you heading Thomas?" She asks while walking toward us.

"Getting Ms Langdon home"

Mrs Gray looks at me for a few seconds. I feel like she is analyzing me, or maybe even judging.

"I'll see you tonight, I assume," she finally says to me.

"You have good assumptions"

"We need to discuss a few things," says Mrs Gray to her nephew.

"It can wait until I get Miss Langdon home"

"No, it cannot"

"Thomas," I say.

He turns his head to look at me and he is obviously getting angry.

"I can take a cab home"

"See? She can take care of herself," adds Polly.

"No. I'll drive you and you, Polly, you'll fucking wait inside. Is that clear?"

Then, I see a car parking right behind the one of Mrs Gray. The man getting outside of it is Thomas's younger brother, John. A cigarette between his lips and his beret on top of his head makes him look a bit more like Thomas.

"What's the problem lads?!" He shouts once he is next to his aunt.

"Thomas doesn't want to leave his friend," replies Polly.

"John, you and Polly wait inside. I'll drive Miss Langdon and come back"

"I can drive her," says John.

Immediately, a small smile appears on my lips and Polly seems to have noticed it.

"Your brother is right," I say to Thomas. "Go have a chat with your aunt. I will be fine"

After a few minutes of arguing, John and I are finally on the road to my castle. I must say, he is very entertaining and chatty. Also, he is a very special character, a funny one, who seems to have more opinions than he wants people to know.

"So, you lived in Africa, huh?"

"Yes. You should visit, it has amazing landscape"

"Funny ya. I'll never leave Birmingham" Replies John.