Chapter Forty.

"You can go, but you won't get far Arthur," declares Thomas.

I turn my head to look at him, as his entire family does. What is he talking about? Arthur just said his goodbye because he is leaving with his wife, what is Thomas talking about?

"All right Tom," says Arthur. What did Thomas do?

"I spoke to Moss last night," declares Tommy. "He told me that the Chief Constable of Birmingham has issued a warrant for your arrest"

What? What is going on?!

"Murder, sedition, conspiracy to cause explosion. John, they're coming for you, as well. Murder-"

"Thomas," I say, walking up to him. I cannot believe he will let John go to prison.

"Conspiracy to cause explosion. Michael-"

"What the fuck?" Says Arthur, shocked.

"-the murder of Hughes. Polly, the murder of Chief Inspector Chester Campbell"

While Arthur shouts his anger and people bang on the doors, I try to stay as calm as possible. This is certainly not what I think it is.

"The people we betrayed last night want to bring us down," starts Thomas while standing up from his chair. "They control the police, they control the judges, they control the juries, they control the jails. But they do not control the elected Government"

He is right. I control it.

"Why didn't you tell us before?!" Shouts John.

"You're my brother!"

"So, I've made a deal-"

"They'll hang us!" Screams Arthur.

"-in return for giving evidence against them," continues Thomas. "It's all taken care of"

I turn around to the door and think fast. I cannot reveal anything about my alliance with the Government, that is impossible, however, I can help. I can help the Shelbys right now in this instant. None of them will go to prison, only one person will.

I turn back to them and see all of them going crazy. "John," I say softly. But he does not hear me in the chaos that Thomas provoked. I sigh, annoyed, and walk over to the door to slam it. When they all hear the loud sound, they turn to me.

"What the fuck?!" Shouts Arthur.

"Now, you will all listen to me"

I walk past all of them to stand in front of Thomas, my gaze challenging his. "None of you will go to prison"

"Emma, you don't understand the situation"

"I perfectly understand it," I retort. Then, I turn toward Thomas' family. "Arthur and John were never near any train"

"What-"

"Both of you were home to your wives. The only person who was there was my driver. He witnessed the explosion and neither of you were near the scene"

"What the fuck?" Says John, confused.

"As to you Michael, you never killed Father Hughes," I declare, turning to him and Polly. "You were there, Father Hughes was about to stab me when you saved me. You saved the woman who controls the railway company of England, you are a hero"

"What are you doing Emma?" Asks Thomas, obviously confused.

"Polly, I, unfortunately, cannot do a simple thing for you. Although, if you will let me go talk to whoever is coming right now, I can assure you, you will never set a foot in jail"

"What are you saying?" She asks.

"Emma-"

"I am saying that if you will let me talk to those men, right now, no one of the Shelby family will never know what a jail looks like," I state.

"What power do you have to prevent that?!" Shouts Arthur's wife. Alright, I must have her tongue cut one day.

"I don't have any. But I have money. Money can buy anything, and it also happens to buy men. So, what do you say?"

"What about the murders?" Retorts John.

"You will never go to jail," I reply. "I don't care what you have done in the past. You will not"

I can hear Thomas sigh behind me. I turn around to him and see him frown. "What?" I ask.

"The deal is done. They don't care how much you can offer, they are going to take them in"

And before I can say anything, the door slams open and policemen forces the entirety of the Shelby family out of the office. My gaze falls on John and when he looks at me, I can see his eyes screaming help before his mouth does the same.

"Do something!" He shouts. "For God sake, do fucking something!"

I look at the scene, powerless, and feel a presence next to me. I turn my head to look at Thomas, shocked that he would do that to his family.

"What is wrong with you?"

"A deal is a deal Emma"

"They are your family"

Thomas scoffs. "You were the only one I could protect"

What? "What are you talking about?"

"You think I don't know the uncle and aunt of Tatiana are dead? I know. And those people, they know too"

"What do you mean?"

"They know you killed them. And somehow, I managed to save you from this madness. They will never come after you"

Oh, God.

Thomas is stupid. He never should've done that. He should've protected his family. Those same people could never do anything against me. But of course, he doesn't know that.

I lay my eyes on the door wide open when I hear the screaming from the Shelby family on the other side of the wall. It breaks my heart to hear John scream like that, and I promise to myself I will get them out. I don't care how long it takes, or how much; they will all get out.