Chapter Four.

My first reflex when I open my eyes is to check the hour. Past midnight. I am about to go back to sleep when I hear screams from downstairs. A woman is screaming. I cannot achieve to identify who's voice it is but, the screaming continue. I finally decide to get out of bed, put on my dressing gown, and leave my room. I try to follow the voice and understand that she's coming from the hall.

Once I am at the top of the stairs, I see that it was Ann's voice. And she's not screaming alone, she's screaming to a man to get out. I walk down the stairs and both of them looks up to me. I sigh when I see who is the man.

"Mr Shelby"

"I am so sorry Madam. He would not leave," Says Ann hastily.

"It's fine Ann. Go back to your bedroom"

"Should I get Ackley Madam?" She asks, worried.

"No. Go back to bed Ann please"

She nods and quickly leaves the hall. I cross my arms on my chest and stare at Mr Shelby.

"What are you doing here Mr Shelby?"

"You did not accept my invitation"

"And you come to my house at night?" I ask, confounded.

I try to understand Mr Shelby's thinking. And before he answers, I notice that something is wrong with him. He is avoiding my gaze, his hands are shaking but he tries to hide it and I can see he is very dizzy.

"Mr Shelby, are you stung?" I ask, thinking he might have a few drinks.

"I will come every night until you accept"

"Why? Why do you insist on me coming to dinner with you?"

"Because you don't know who I am!" Screams Mr Shelby while getting closer to me.

I think anyone would be afraid of an angry, stung and unstable man getting closer to them. But, surprisingly I am not. I do not move away from him. Even better, I dare to challenge his gaze with mine.

"You fucking don't know who I am" He repeats with a breathy voice.

After that, he falls on his knees and envelops my thighs with his arms. Before I can say anything, or help him to get back on his feet, I feel his arms shaking against my body.

"Mr Shelby?" I say softly.

"You fucking don't know me"

Then, I understand that he is sobbing by his trembling chin and very unstable voice. I decide to also get on my knees and puts my hands on his shoulders to get him to look at me.

"Mr Sh-"

"Thomas for God sake"

He finally lifts his head to put his gaze on me.

"Everything is going to be fine" I say, trying to be reassuring.

Then, I decide to put one of my hands in his back to encourage him to let loose against my chest. Once his head is on my bust, I let my other hand caress his hair to make him feel secure and not alone. Letting him cry on my body will maybe make him feel better. And even if he was rude and disrespectful to me, I cannot let him be broken or destroyed like that without reacting.

I hear some footsteps coming toward us so I quickly turn my head to look at who is coming and I am surprised to see Ackley. Before he can come too close to us, I make him understand, by a head movement, that I am handling the situation. More importantly, I make him understand that he has to leave us alone. He feels reluctant to do so but, he finally executes my order.