Preface.

"Ackley, are we almost there?" I ask, still reading my book.

"Almost Madam"

"How long until the castle?"

"I'd say, twenty maybe fifteen minutes if Birmingham is clear"

"Thank you Ackley"

I continue my lecture of The Beautiful and the Damned. I have never been that fascinated by a devastating and destructive love. But Fitzgerald is the author and his books are always amazing me. I can even say that he is one of my favourite writers since Jane Addams and her brilliant 20 Years at Full House. I do have to admit that I am not easy to please when it comes to literature. However, Americans always find their path to my heart.

"Can I ask you something, Madam?"

I close my book to look at my driver.

"Of course"

"Why Birmingham? You already have a lot of friends in London and a manor there"

"Well, London is starting to get a little too crowded for me Ackley," I answer with a smile. "And the name Birmingham sounds like a magical place"

I can see, and hear, Ackley, repress a laugh.

"You can laugh as much as you want"

"Sorry Madam"

"It's okay. It's not like we've known each other for at least ten years"

"I do remember the first time I met you," He says, looking at me in the mirror.

"Do you?"

"Of course. It was in January when you were in London for business"

"Oh yeah. The first time I left my beloved Africa"

"Do you already miss it?" Asks Ackley. "It has only been three days"

"Of course I miss it!"

"Well, I'm sure you're gonna get used to Birmingham"

"Have you already been to this city?"

"I do have a cousin who lives here," He answers.

"I did not know that"

"He's the son of my mother's sister"

"Well, you can go see him whenever you want"

"Thank you, Madam. But, we're not really close"

"Why's that?" I ask, a little bit too curious.

"He works in some factory and I have been away for ten years now"

"I understand. Well, if I can do anything just let me know"

"Thank you"

I smile to Ackley and turn my face to look at the streets. Then, in a street right on Ackley's left, I see something on the ground next to a Bentley. I squint to look at it and get horrified when I see what it is.

"Ackley stop the car!" I shout, ready to get out.

He obeys and I immediately run out of the vehicle. I rush toward what I think is a person and when I get close to him, I see that it is a man. Blood is soiling his face and part of his clothes including his beret. I kneel next to him and put my hands on his cheeks to check his injuries.

"Sir, are you okay?" I ask.

He struggles to blink but then, his eyes open for like a second before he closes them and fall back.

"Ackley!" I scream.

"I'm here Madam"

I haven't even notice that he followed me.

"We need to help this man," I say, still staring at the injuries of this stranger.

"He's a stranger Madam"

"He's bleeding," I say, giving a look at Ackley.

My driver sighs, a sign of his disagreement. I reach into the pocket of my coat and grab a tissue to wipe the blood from the face of the man.

"We need to help him Ackley"

"Fine. I'll carry him to the car"

I nod and Ackley comes next to the stranger and carry him on his shoulder.

"Be careful, we don't know what he might be suffering of" I say while getting up.

"Your dress Madam," Says Ackley.

I look down at my clothes and see that my skirt is covered in mud just like the bottom of my coat and my shoes.

"It's just clothes. Let's go Ackley"

We get back to the car and my driver installs the man in the back seat, right next to me. He, then, drives away to my castle. I continue to use my tissue to wipe the blood off the face of the man, like if it's gonna help.

"We'll ask one of the maids to bring a doctor when we arrive," I say, staring at the stranger.

"It's past ten Madam. There might be no doctor available"

"I am a Langdon. There's gonna be a doctor at my house tonight"