Chapter Five.

"I regret this"

"Everything is going to be fine" Says Ackley.

I sigh and accept the cup of champagne offered by a waiter.

"Why are we here?" I ask.

"Because you need to present yourself to the society of your new residence"

"I would be better at home"

"Alone in front of your chimney?"

"I would not have been alone" I reply. "I would have been with a book"

We continue to look at the art pieces on the walls and I start to wonder how I let Ackley drag me here tonight.

"So, you are having dinner with Mr Shelby tomorrow" Says my driver.

"Yes I am"

"And he spent the night"

"Yes, he did" I reply without looking at him.

"Why did you say yes?"

"That is, my friend, none of your business"

And he does not say anything else. I stop myself in front of a magnificent painting. A painting representing one white water nymphaea flower in a middle of a huge lake surrounded by a sublime snowfall. This painting is breathtaking, and not only because those flowers are my favourite but because of the detail and the preciseness of the drawing. I am completely astonished by it.

"You like flower huh"

I look on my left and I am surprised to see Mr Shelby.

"I do" I say, looking back at the painting.

"And you like art"

"I do too"

Then, a silence falls on us. And it is not one of those very odd silence but more of a pleasant one. I am focused on the painting and I am sure that Mr Shelby also has his eyes on it. Except that when I decide to look at him, I notice that he is staring at me. I smile, politely, and engage the conversation.

"I did not know you were interested in art Mr Shelby"

"I am interested in everything that happens in my Birmingham" He replies with his gruff voice.

"I see"

"Are you planning to stay for dinner?" He asks.

"Yes. Are you?"

"I was not. But, I imagine I could stay a little longer than planned"

"Happy to hear that" I say politely.

After that, I see Mr Shelby's gaze focusing on Ackley who is standing behind me. I understood, a long time ago, that Ackley makes Mr Shelby uncomfortable. And even though I did not care at the beginning of our friendship, I care now. So I turn around to face Ackley.

"Ackley, why don't you take the car to visit a little more of Birmingham?"

"It's past dusk Madam"

I make him understand, with a very serious look, that it was more of an instruction than a suggestion.

"Fine Madam. I will come back at 11"

"No need" Quickly replies Mr Shelby. "I'll drive the lady myself"

"I was not talking to you Sir"

"If" I start to stop this unnecessary argument "I am not here when you come back, it will means that I am home"

"Fine Madam. Enjoy your evening"

"You too Ackley"

He greets us and leave the building. I turn to look back at Mr Shelby and it is only now that I notice his suit. Black and white, like every man in the room, but I do quite like his gold pocket watch.