Chapter Twenty-One

As I am getting ready to go pay a last visit to Harry, Thomas calls me from the living room. I put my bracelets on my wrist while I walk out of the room.

"A problem?" I ask.

"Someone for you"

I frown and walk up to the door. Thomas steps back and I see the butler of the hotel standing in the doorframe.

"Yes?"

"A call for you Ma'am"

"The telephone didn't ring," I reply.

"A private call to the reception Ma'am," explains the butler.

I frown but accept to follow him downstairs. While we wait for the lift, I proceed to demand who's calling me.

"It's a private call from Downing Street Ma'am," announces the butler as we get on the lift.

Now, I am curious. Why would the office of the Prime Minister call me? I know my father had a good relationship with Winston Churchill back in the days, but he isn't in office anymore. And he has nothing for me. Also, how did they knew I was at the Savoy?

When we arrive at the reception, the butler hands me the phone and excuses himself. I thank him and put the phone against my ear.

"Ms Langdon speaking," I say.

"Ms Langdon, what a pleasure to finally have you on the phone," says a man's voice.

"May I ask your name?"

"The Prime Minister Miss"

"Oh. A pleasure to hear from you, Mr MacDonald"

"Thank you. You must be curious as to why I am reaching out"

"I am," I say.

"I have arranged my agenda in order to meet you this afternoon," explains the Prime Minister. "I hope you will accept the invitation"

An invitation from the Prime Minister? How odd. "May I ask what this is about?" I demand.

"Economic matters Miss"

He won't say more. "Very well. When?"

"A car is already on its way. I shall see you in less than thirty minutes"

When I walk back up to the suite, I am everything but surprised. Actually, I am indeed surprised; surprised that the Prime Minister didn't mention my father. I wonder why he wants to discuss economics matters with my person. I have no business in England. Well, that isn't true. I do own a lot of properties throughout the kingdom, and a few powerful persons. But they have nothing to do with the government. I never even met Winston Churchill, and he was a very close associate of my dad. I am also surprised he wasn't the one to contact me.

"What was that about?"

I close the door of the suite and walk past Thomas, without answering, to get in my changing room.

"Emma," insists Thomas.

"One of the assistants needs to see me concerning my citizen status," I lie. There is no need to involve Thomas in my affairs, especially with the government.

"Citizen status? You're English"

"I know. I just think it's all a little mistake"

I put down the jewellery I was wearing and decide to put a pearl necklace instead. I grab one of my red coats and black leather gloves before choosing a bag and walk out of my changing room.

"How long will you be gone?" Asks Thomas as he follows me to the door.

"Not long. Although, I will go see Harry after this little inconvenient. I shall see you tonight," I say.