The Team

Leon "Bell" Ivanov, former Perseus agent, Ex-CIA

Moscow, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics

July 10th, 1981

Moscow.

Home.

"How does it feel to be back?" Portnova asks me while we're standing on Red Square.

"It feels... strange. Good, but strange." I try to describe.

She nods "I suppose that's understandable after what happened to you."

Immediatly after we landed, she led me to the Lubjanka Building where I was questioned and underwent a medical examination of my mind and body to make sure I was fit for duty. They wanted to make sure I wasn't still under the influence of MK-Ultra. I told  them everything I remember about Perseus and his network but there are still some gaps in my memory.

While waiting for the results, Portnova led me into a flat nearby. It was a ordinary flat. A kitchen, Bedroom, Bathroom, it even has a TV.

"I hope you understand that I will be staying with you for security measures." she explains after locking the door behind her.

"Yes, I understand."

"Well, make yourself at home. I'm gonna read my book"

I shrug.  "Do whatever you want, just don't smoke. Please."

"You don't smoke?"

"I quit."

She smiles. "I don't smoke either, so you've got nothing to worry about."

Since I am feeling hungry, I decide to check out the kitchen and make myself a snack. Portnova is sitting on the sofa reading her book about mathematics. At first glance, she seems harmless but I have no doubt that she is watching my every move, ready to strike like a vulture.

"Do you want something to eat?" I ask her.

She just nods without looking up from her book. There isn't much here, but it will do. I prepare two tuna sandwiches and make some fried potatoes.

"Dinner is ready!" I tell Portnova who immediatly comes over and grabs one of the sandwiches.

"Thanks, I was starving" She takes a bite. "Woah, now that's a sandwich."

"You're welcome" I smile at her and tray some of the potatoes. We talk a bit about cryptography, which seems to be something we both enjoy and are very good at.

By nightfall, we are slowly warming up to one another, liek we did on that walk back in Durbovik, when the telephone rings. Portnova take it and listens.

"Yes comrade....Gladly....I'll tell him." She looks at me "It's for you."

I stand up and take the phone "Yes?"

"Good day, comrade. This is Yuri Adropov, Chairman of the KGB. I have your test results."

There was a pregnant paus.e "And looks like you're ready of duty. Welcome back to the motherland, comrade."

I sigh in relief. That's the best news I have heard in a while. "Thank you Comrade Andropov. I will do everything I can to help you."

"We'll see. Now get some rest. You and Comrade Portnova will meet the rest of your team tomorrow. She knows the place." Then he hangs up.

I fill in Portnova of what he told me and she goes into the bedroom, returning shortly afterwards with several documents "These are our team members. Would you like to read their files?"