New orders

Leon Ivanov, KGB

Havana, Cuba

June 30, 1982

Once we got back to Cuba, we told Chairman Andropov of our findings. He told us that he would discuss this with the General Secretary and that we should await further orders. So that's exactly what we are doing right now as I take a walk through the park with Portnova. I suggest we sit down by the lake and she agrees. There are parents with their children, children playing with other children and young couples enjoying a day off. For a moment, I feel a strong urge to put my arm around Portnova, but I decide against it. After we've enjoyed the scene for a while, I turn to face her. "Back on the submarine... Why did you say you have to prove your Loyalty?" I ask her in a gentle voice.

She doesn't say anything at first, just avoiding eye contact, before she sighs. "Have you ever heard of the frigate Storozhevoy?"

I think about it, but I can't say I have. "No, I don't think so."

Portnova gives me a twisted smile and chuckles. "Of course you haven't. We covered up the incident."

"Incident?" I ask. What was all of this about?

"You have to swear that you will never speak to anyone what I am about to tell you. Understand? You take this secret to tha grave." Her voice is strong and very serious. I can practically feel the threat coming out of her mouth.

"I swear."

She takes another deep breath before she tells me the story. "Back in 1975, during the festivities of the October Revolution, a political officer named Valery Sablin led a mutiny aboard the Storozhevoy and took control of the ship."

A Mutiny then. To defect to the West? I can see how difficult this is for her to talk about, so I touch her hand and reassure her with a friendly smile."Hey... it's okay. I'm here for you."

She gives me a nod and continues. "He planned to reach Leningrad and broadcast a message to the people of the USSR. Telling them that the gouvernment they serve was decadent and corrupt, that they should rise up against it. He wanted to start a true Socialist Revolution."

"Wow... what happened then?"

"The Admiralty thought they wanted to defect to the West and send in the Air Force and half of the Baltic Fleet after them. At first, many sailors and pilots refused to shot on fellow comrades, but eventually some of them did and Sablin surrendered the ship. They mutineers were dishonerably discharged and forbidden to ever talk about the events. But Sablin... he was sentenced to death and executed a few months later."

After taking in all of her story I ask. "What does all of this have to do with you?"

She sighs and whispers. "Sablin was my uncle."

My eyes widen in shock as I understand now. "Oh... I see."

"I was already working for the KGB at the time but some of my superiors believed that I was somehow involved in all of this. Luckily, my coworkers vouched for me and my "good character" but I could never fully regain their trust." She turns to look at me. "That's why this mission is so important to me. Killing Perseus would finally silence my critics."

I take her hand. "Thank you for your trust, Comrade. I promise, no one will know about this."

She smiles at me. God, she looks so beautiful in the sunlight. "Thanks. It's the least I can do after you've trusted me as well." She slowly leans in closer until I can feel her hot breath on my lips. But before anything happens, she pulls away. "We should get back to the others."

I gulp. I'm not sure if I wanted her to kiss me or if I feared it. I already fell in love with a fellow agents once and I'm not sure if I'm ready for another relationship. "Good idea." I tell her and we return to our apartment.

---------------------------------------------

Me and the rest of the team are playing cards when the phone rings. I pick it up. "Is this the german embassy?" I hear Chairman Andropovs voice. It's the codeword.

"No, Comrade. You must be mistaken" I reply and establish a safe connection.

"You did good in Miami. Things nearly took a turn of the worse, but you managed to do it. Bravo!" he says. But I can tell something is off, his voice is different today.

"Thank you, Comrade. I have a good team by my side." I tell him.

"Yes, yes you have." he sighs.

"Is something wrong, Comrade?" I ask him bluntly.

"Unfortunatly, yes. Comrade Brezhnev has ordered all of you to return to Moscow. The Operation is put on ice."

It felt like someone had ripped my heart straight out of my chest. The others see my face and start to worry as well. "Everything alright?" Vargas ask. I shake my head.

"But Comrade, we know that Perseus plans to strike in the US. Let us stay in Cuba and wait for..."

"No. The General Secretary was very clear about this. Who knows how long you will stay in Cuba until Perseus strikes. You would risk being detected by american spies. And since the attack will take place in the US, Brezhnev thinks it's fine."

I'm totally dumbfounded. "Sir, let me talk to him. Maybe I can convince..."

"He made up his mind, agent. I already tried to convince him myself but he would not listen." he sighs. "Just... pack your things and return to Moscow." he hangs up.

I tell the others about what he told me and they are, understandably, just as angry as me. But what can we do? Orders are Orders.

---------------------------------------------

The next day, we have finished packing our clothes and equipment but just about to leave when the satellite phone rings. I groan. "What now?"

I pick it up and let the others listen in on it. "Yes?"

"Scratch your orders, we have an emergency." Andropov informs us. We gather around the phone.

"We're listening." I tell him.

"One of our nuklear submarines has gone missing two weeks ago in the North Atlantic and we found it three days ago. We've sent out a salvage ship, disguised as a drillship, to save them. But today we've lost contact with them. A frigate that was sent to investigate went quiet as well. Save our men and prevent the nukes from falling into enemy hands."

He gives us the coordinates. "How are we going to get there?" Beck asks.

"With the help of the cuban navy. They are already planning a maneuver, just get on board on one of their ships."

"Understood, Comrade. We won't let you down." Portnova speak up.

"I know you won't." he simply stats.

"Comrade, I have a feeling that this is the work of Perseus." I tell him.

"What makes you say that?" he asks.

"It's... just a feeling. I feel it in my gut." I answer honestly.

There is a short pause before he responds. "Then be extra careful."

AN: The Mutiny on the Storozhevoy was the inspiration for Tom Clancy's novel: The Hunt for Red October.