The End is near

My ears are ringing and my blood freezing. I couldn't believe it, I was too stunned. Did I hear that right? Was the end finally in sight?

"Comrade?" a voice calls out to me. "Leon?"

It's Portnova. Hearing my name brings me back to reality. "I... forgive me I must have zoned out. What did you just say?"

"I said that we have found the warehouse in the satellite photos. It's in Houston, Texas."

"Texas... are they sure?" I ask. If we have to return to the states we have to be absolutely certain.

She nods. "Yes, afraid so. I'm not looking forward to this, but if it's what we have to do, then so be it."

I start dialing again. "Comrade?" Portnova asks.

"Yes, Comrade?"

"Do you trust them?"

That is a question I have been asking myself for a long, long while. And I still am not 100% sure. "I trust that they want to avoid a nuclear war."

She nods. I believe she knows that this is true as well. "And beyond that?"

I am silent for while, then call Park. "We have to keep our guard up. Some of them are idealists like us, but many others are just following orders and are moved like chess pieces in this dangerous game that is the Cold war."

"That doesn't excuse what they are doing and what they did." she insists.

I just shake my head. "You and I both know that we are all little soldiers that are doing our part." Still no one answering the phone.

"But what if... that is not enough? What if we have to do more than just follow orders?"

I'm surprised and a little shocked to hear her say that. But before I can answer her, Park picks up the phone on the other line and I walk some distance away from prying eyes. "Park I've got news for you."

"Already? What's this about?" she asks. I tell her about our findings and she sounds exited. "Really? That is excellent news."

"Can you smuggle us into the states?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

"I think I can. Give me a day or two and then everything should be arranged."

Leon Ivanov, KGB

September 9, 1983

[REDACTED], [REDACTED]

"Is this the address?" I ask, wearing civilian clothes and standing with Park in front of the warehouse.

"Absolutely. We checked your photos with our own satellite pictures. And we know that those who bought this place wanted to remain anonymous and payed in cash." she says. "This is definitely the place."

It was decided that just me and Park would go in there, the two of us have a smaller chance of being detected than two dozens civilians just walking onto private property.

As I try to break the lock to one of the side doors, Parks asks. "So... are you and Portnova... ?"

I sigh, not really surprised by this. She is is a spy after all and it's not like Portnova and I don't exchange any meaningful looks. "What is it to you? I think we have more important things to do right now."

"Just an observation." She insists, but I can hear in her voice that it isn't the whole truth.

I sigh in annoyance. "No we are not together or anything. But I like her. She is strong, beautiful and a good comrade."