Closing in

Leon Ivanov, KGB

Moscow, Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic

August 22, 1983

Two years.

More then two fucking  years since we started looking for Perseus and we are still not closer to catching him since day one and we don't even know what he is planning!

The only good thing that happened in the last few months were the destruction of Perseus allies within the USSR. Corrupt politicians and nationalist leaders. It was truly a pleasure to deal with these animals. They are a poison to society, like satan they lure the people with delightful promises. Individualism, national pride and honor. But they only care about themselves, not for the good of the union or the people.

But when it comes to Persues, not much luck. The only piece of valuable information came from a high ranking official that used his power to print US-dollars for Perseus. Specially printed dollars that couldn't be traced. Why does Perseus need such a vast amount of american currency?

"Comrade are you listening?" Portnova asks and brings me out of my thoughts. We are currently sitting in a teahouse in the old town of Moscow.

"Forgive me, I was lost in thought. Could you repeat that?"

"I asked if you voted." she repeats. The mayor elections are today and three candidates were running. Two members of the communist party and one independet one. In the past, every constituency would only had one candidate, but thanks to Andropovs reforms that was over. Other parties are still not allowed but that is not necessary, as the party represents all  people.

"Of course, it's my civic duty after all."

"Hmm.." she humms and drinks her tea. Somethings wrong, I know.

"What's on your mind, my friend?" I ask her and put my cup down.

She sighs after avoiding eye contact for a while and looks at me. "Andropov is a wise man, no doubt about that. But I'm afraid he will cause a split in the party."

"Why? Because we are now allowed to actually debate?"

Portnova seems to get angry at that comment. "The Party cannot allow itself to be divided. It would be the end of the Soviet Union."

I lean over the table, getting a hold on her soft hands. "Self-criticism does not hurt our revolution. It makes us stronger, it helps us adapt."

"I don't know..." she mutters. "This could be dangerous."

"Well at least we have dealt with the most dangerous individuals." I smile and she smiles as well.

The phone rings suddenly. It's Vargas. "Comrades, come to the Lubyanka building. We have a new one." he says, referring to the prisoners who are connected to Perseus.

"We're on our way." We finish our drinks and leave a generous tip before hurring to the Lubyanka building.

---------------------------------------------

"I'll ask again: What did you do?" Beck asks the prisoner, who was once a high ranking officer and commander of a rocket base. One of the solidiers there gave us the tip that the commadner had used his position to shoot something out of the sky.  He wanted to keep it a secret, he even got rid of the records. But we are better.

"Fuck you!" he yells and spits blood in his face. Beck simply walks away.

It's my turn now. The prisoners just snorts when he sees me. "What are you going to do? Torture me? Go ahead, do your worst."

I honestly have to laugh at that. Oh how naive. "Who do you think we are? The americans? Or do you think this is the Stalin-era? Tsk tsk tsk." I shake my head and take a syringe from the nearby table. "You know... Comrade Andropov and I agree on a lot of things. One of which is our trust in science." I stab the man with the syringe. "One injection and you will tell us anything."

"What? No, I...." the man protest, but no one was able to resist the truth serum so far.

Around 30 seconds later I ask the first question to make sure it worked. "Where were you born?"

"St. Petersburg." he replies, his eyes now empty. It worked.

"What were Perseus orders? What did you shoot down from the sky?"

"An american satellite. Perseus himself contacted me and gave the order. He sounded distressed."

I share a look with my team. Now we have a lead.

It takes a few more hours before the department can send us the data, but they managed to recover the files and locate the satellite. According to them, it went down in the angolian desert. Great, another country rocked by civil war.

But the orders from Comrade Andropov are clear. Travel to Angola and get the photos the satellite made. It's a long shot since their might be nothing to recover, but we have no other options. I should also contact Park, maybe she knows more about this.

One thing is certain though: Whatever is on these photos, Perseus does not want us to see it.