New Leadership

Leon Ivanov, KGB

[REDACTED], Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic

November 10th, 1982

The winter came a little earlier than we thought, but it is warm enough in our house, thanks to the fire. Portnova puts another log into it, before walking over to me. "Are you alright, Comrade? You look tired."

We are currently in a village around 100 km from Moscow in a KGB safehouse. We play the role of family members and friends of a local woman, Natasha, who also works for the KGB and runs the safehouse. Comrade Andropov said that this might be a good hiding place, as this safehouse was established just recently so Perseus shouldn't know about this one.

Vargas wound was more severe than we thought so he was sent back to the Soviet Union to recover, while the rest of us mopped up the rest of Nagas drug cartel in Southeast Asia. It took weeks but the managed to get almost all of them. The rest will be to scattered, to disorganized to regroup.

But for all the documents, photos and discs we have recovered so far, none of them lead to Perseus himself. As I suspected, Perseus' cells operate independently and he gives his orders in person. That way, there is no document or anything else that may trace back to him or any other cell. He is good, but I'm better.

I have  to be better.

"Comrade?" Portnova repeats her question. I look up from my desk, which is littered with potential clues on Perseus whereabouts.

"Yeah I.... I guess I'm tired." I admit and check my watch. It is two in the morning.

"Sleep then. And let me have a look at this." She points towards the desk.

"You sure?" She nods. "Alright then, thank you Comrade."

She smiles. God, that smile. It can melt the snow outside. "Of course. Sleep well."

Just as I am about to leave the room, I pause and look back at her. She has already started working, eager as always. 

We never talked about that kiss in Laos. It's not like we are shy teenagers that are embarrassed or anything, but I can't allow myself any distractions, not until Perseus is defeated. And knowing her, she probably things the same too.

When I open my eyes, Portnova is already there, waiting for me. "Were you watching me sleep?" I ask.

"A little bit. You looked so peaceful and aren't talking in your sleep anymore. Certainly an improvment." she says.

"Oh... yeah, I don't have that many nightmares again." It is probably just wishful thinking that I will completely get over what the americans have done to me, but maybe over time, the wounds will heal.

"Well, you've overslept breakfast but lunch ist just about to be served. How about we go to that lake near the church again, hm? I really like that place."

We used to go to the place almost every day. It's frozen now, but it is truly a beautiful and I get up and raise an eyebrow. "Comrade Portnova, are you asking me out on a date?"

She rolls her eyes at that, but smiles. She knows I'm only teasing her, as this isn't our first time going there. "Oh hush you...."

In this moment, our satellite phone starts ringing. "I'll go get it, you get dressed." Portnova says and leaves the room. After I'm dressed, I follow Portnova into the living room where all members of my team are seated at the table. But when I see Portnova's face, I'm starting to get worried. She is completely pale and barely says anything, just listening in. "Yes.... of course, we will await further orders." she finishes and puts the phone down. I have never seen her so scared, hell I didn't even know she could get scared at all.