Snow [Chapter Fifteen]

{Wilbur's POV}

A single, crisp, walnut colored leaf hung in the weak grasp of a bare tree. From the distance of the naked forest came a rustle of branches hitting against one another. A gush of wind was racing pass the trunks of the tall trees reaching up to the sky, and through the many branches trying to grab the blue of above skies. Until, finally, it reached the single dying leaf hanging on by a thread. As it brushed past the leaf, it began to fight to stay upon the branch, before it's grip faltered and it was ripped off from it's perch on the branch. The wind carried it high above the trees, the cold air keeping the leaf close to the heavens. However, the gush was faster than the crispy, dead plant as it dropped the leaf, which was now lightly twirling to the ground. It glided between the branches of the trees and it managed to avoid being caught in any bushes as it settled down neatly onto the forest floor. 

The leaf rested underneath the cold and heavy air, the smell of heavy clouds darkening the skies around it. From above came a small, white, crystal flake, drifting down elegantly until it landed on the fallen leaf. It stayed there, the leaf starting to harden in the cold as more and more snowflakes soon followed down. Winter was upon them. 

A long while passed between the situation with the rats and to now. It has been at three weeks or so and the strange family has fallen into a routine of sorts throughout that time. Philza had started working at his mysterious job overtime- which Wilbur had no clue what it was- to earn the extra income to feed all three of them. That meant he wasn't home as much during the weekdays and Techno and Wilbur had to find ways to entertain themselves throughout the day, as they don't exactly go to school just yet. Usually throughout the day they would watch the latest episode of Manhunt or Dream SMP- whichever was on- before heading outside to explore. They would take turns exploring through the woods and poking sticks at dead snakes and squirrels. Sometimes they would work to build secret bases out of sticks as well, or sometimes they would have wars with eachother where the sticks were their sharp swords. As the sun would start to set, they would head back right before Philza got home. That's when they would get ready for dinner, with Wilbur trying to help with the cooking and Techno just scheming in the background. Then they would all eat and just spend time as any normal illegal-taken-in-children family would.

Today, however, was going to be very different for the small family. Wilbur woke up in his sleepy room, wrapped up in a fuzzy, soft, blue blanket. His windows were tinted with a white hue and frost crystals were forming at the edges growing in. It was too fogged up for him to see outside, but the usual sight was just trees anyways. He would then put on a yellow sweater- given to him by Philza after his old and first one tore and was way too oversized- and blue jeans. Then he walked from his room to the hallway, usually after Techno had already left his own room across the hall. Then, as usual, Wilbur walked down the hall to the kitchen, smelling the sizzling bacon and the popping eggs in the air. His stomach gave a hugry growl and Wilbur slipped into the kitchen.

Philza was at the oven, cooking up some breakfast. His presence being there this late in the morning alerted Wilbur that it was the weekend which mean Philza didn't have to go to work today. He smiled, happy that Philza was able to stay home today. That meant they could go do something besides exploring in the woods! Wilbur wanted to help out, but a yawn from the dinning room caught his attention first. He spun on his heels and skipped out of the warm kitchen and into the dining room, where he saw Techno was. He had his head in his arms and he looked sleepy, which was usual for him.

"Morning, Techno!" Wilbur chirped, jumping into a chair across from Techno. His pink hair was sticking up all over the place and it seemed to have gotten a lot longer since when he first got to this place a month or so ago. A sudden twitch in Wilbur's hands made him wonder if he could somehow tame the beast of Techno's hair. Maybe brush it for once and braid it back so it wasn't all over.

"Mr'rnin'" Techno mumbled out through his arms, lifting his rosey and half-opened eyes to Wilbur. Techno was able to see Wilbur's own sleepy look, with his fluff of hair over his eyes and the bags that seemed the rest under his brown gaze. Of course, both of them will be more awake later on, but the hidden truth of their struggle to sleep would remaim unspoken besides for the features on their face.

"It's really cold outside, my window was all cold and frozen," Wilbur casuaully comented as he slopped down into his chair. His energy seemed to lessen slightly as Techno's tired vibe transfered to Wilbur. And yet, almost as if he was teasing him like a little brother would, Wilbur copied Techno's positioned and he put his head down in his arms. Even tired he was playing some sort of game.

"Its bu'cuz ib sno'ing," Techno replied, his ears twitching as Wilbur copied him. He turned his head away to quickly yawn, before setting it back into his arms. The movement disrupted a few strands of tangled hair and they ended up falling between his eyes.

"Wh'uh?" Wilbur asked Techno, unable to understand him as his mouth was covered by his arm. He noticed the hair that fell infront of Techno's face and another urge to do something about it lit up inside of him.

Techno finally lifted his head up and dropped his arms from the table. He looked over at Wilbur and he gave a small smile, as if he was fond that he had someone that acted like his brother, copying him and messing around. Wilbur ended up smiling as well, feeling his energy return to him.

"It's cold because it's snowing outside," Techno explained more clearly. The moment those words left his mouth, Wilbur was jumping out of his chair with stars in his eyes, excitment lighting up inside of him. Snow! It was snowing! He was out the dinning room before Techno could even move.

From the other room, Philza was shouting about something along the lines of "cause and effect" and how Techno got them mixed up, but at that point Wilbur didn't care. All he cared about was the snow. He rushed to the nearest door, which just happened to be the front door. He reached it in a matter of seconds and he unlocked it by flicking the lock. It was cold to the touch and Wilbur could feel the chilly breeze from outside blow in through the crack between the door and the doorframe.

He swung open the heavy door to be hit with a strong gust of cold wind, with small pricks of cold hitting him as well. He opened his eyes to see a shining sea of glistening and fresh snow, growing deeper with each heavy clump of flakes that made their way down. The air smelt like rain but with a colder tint- like how an empty freezer would smell. His ears and nose were already growing pink as the cold nipped at him, and his hands begged for gloves. Wilbur was ready to run out into the snow despite this, with or without shoes and gloves. And he was about to as he heard Techno walking up from behind him when-

"Hewwo!!"

Wilbur looked down suddenly only to see a boy staring back up at him. He had a smile on his face and he seemed very cold, despite having a jacket and beanie on. His jacket was sliver and seemed to cause any snow to bounce off. He had blond hair which was sticking up on one side... almost looking frozen. His face was bright red around his cheeks and nose and there was a shivering to the smaller boy. When looking closer, Wilbur could see that he had a bee backpack as well.

"Who's this?" Techno asked, coming up from behind Wilbur. He stared down at the random kid, almost with judement. Wilbur looked over to Techno and just shrugged his shoulders, baffled that a random boy just seemed to have come out of nowhere.

"Tommy!" The boy replied cheerfully with Wilbur could only guess was his name. He brought up his red gloves, his arms trembling. He was holding a small envelope, with no name to it. Wilbur leaned closer to look at the white envelope, but as he did so he could hear Tommy's teeth chattering.

"It's cold outside!" Philza shouted from inside, his footsteps suddenly getting louder and closer, "Don't leave the door open...ed....." However, he trailed off as he came up fron behind Wilbur and he saw the boy standing there, holding up the envolope, shivering. Wilbur turned his head and looked up at Philza with confusion.

"This is Tommy, why is he here?" Wilbur asked bluntly, wondering why on earth a random boy would just be out in the snow. There was no tracks to indicate he drove or walked here recently either, which could only mean he had spent the night outside of their front door without anyone realising until this moment.