Storms and Promises [Chapter Nine]

{Techno's POV}

A few nights later...

Soft rainfall tipped and tapped on the roof of the forest house, the billowing dark clouds covering the stars overhead. The moon was hidden from sight and it seemed the only sound outside was that of the rain and the distant growls of thunder. The smell of mud and wet leaves filled the air strongly, every surface growing dark and soaked with rain.

As the night grew on, the rain began to fill with the weight of rocks and the light taps on the roof became hard drumming. The wind whistled through the tree trunks outside and the thunder rolls were starting to near. One by one, each inch of the surface outside became soaked in dark rain water, listening and rippling with each tear of rain.

Suddenly, there came a flash of lighting right outside of the house, lighting any windows up as if fire was roaring outside- and soon followed the caterwaul of thunder, causing the house to tremble.

Techno suddenly opened his eyes with a start as his dream was instantly erased from his mind. He laid still, listening as he heard the echo of a thunder roar in the distance, before it was drowned out by the harsh sound of rain and wind. He could tell it was storming outside, but it didn't really scare him all that much. His hands clutched a foam sword he was given by Philza, and he readjusted his grip quickly. He just took a few deep breaths and tried to close his eyes, calming his startled heart from being woken up.

However, a few heartbeats later came another flash of thunder, followed by a thunder shriek. It shook the house and Techno gripped the bedsheet tightly. He was still convinced that he wasn't scared, just... annoyed that he wasn't able to sleep with the loudness of it all. 

The sound of shuffling and foot steps in the hall caused Techno to sit up lightly, the attention from the storm being ripped away. He watched as a shadow passed by his closed door, which in the next moment was flung open with a fearful shout following.

"Techno!" cried Wilbur as he raced into the room, just as there came another clap of thunder outside. Techno sat up taller as he watched the smaller boy race farther into the realms of his room and as he climbed onto Techno's bed. The blankets became uneven and winkled, but in a few moments he was able to pull himself up. Wilbur quickly buried himself underneath Techno's sheets, hiding. 

"Wilbur?" Techno asked, growing concerned, "Are you okay..?" He lifted his blankets up to try and see Wilbur through the darkness, and he saw him laying on his stomach with his hands over his ears, tears in his eyes. It finally clicked with Techno that Wilbur was afraid of the storm outside. He almost smiled, but he managed to keep it down, wondering how someone could be scared of a storm.

"Th-Thunder!" Wilbur squeaked out, shutting his eyes tightly. Techno took in a deep breath before he uncovered Wilbur from the blankets. He silently stared at him before he grabbed Wilbur's arms from his ears and he pulled the other closer to him. Techno released his foam sword and instead he wrapped his arms around Wilbur, holding him closer. He tried his best to be comforting, hugging Wilbur as though it would get rid of the storm.

"The storm can't get you in here," Techno quietly promised him, "It doesn't know how to unlock the doors." He shot a glare at the window and at the storm outside, as if daring to try and come in to get them. He was too sleepy to even consider the fact that the storm was, in fact, not a human that could unlock doors and come inside. 

Slowly, Wilbur wrapped his arms around Techno as well, holding tightly onto the taller boy. He rested his head against Techno as well, his shaky breathing seeming to slow. His hands seemed to twitch as well, and Techno could only assume he was frightened of outside still. 

"What if i-it gets through th-the window?" Wilbur asked, his voice quiet and trembling, his whole body seeming to be in a state of trembling and fighting the urge to run away into a darker corner. However, Techno's steady hold on him and the comfort in his words seemed to calm Wilbur down enough to have him stay there. The last thing Techno wanted was for Wilbur to run away to hide instead of being safe with him.

"Then I will fight it off, I'll protect you," Techno claimed, glancing over to his foam sword. He wondered if he would be able to fight lighting bolts and rain bullets with it if it came to it. Even if it couldn't, there was no way he would let the storm get to them.

"..." Wilbur hesitated, seeming to calm down more, "You promise?" There was a shake in his voice, along with hope. Techno picked up on the hopefulness, and he could only wonder why Wilbur was hoping for him to promise that he would protect him. 

"I promise." He firmly whispered back, knowing that it was true. He didn't have anyone anymore- no family or parents- or even friends. All he had was Philza and Wilbur, and right now Wilbur needed him. He would fight a million storms in that moment to keep him safe from the lighting and thunder roaring outside.

Moments passed and it seemed that the rain was starting to lift into a steady fall, and the rolling thunder seemed to be roaring farther and farther away each time. Wilbur had relaxed and his breaths grew steady, and when Techno looked down to him, he saw that Wilbur had fallen asleep. Techno didn't say anything as he continued to hold him, as he felt something strange shift inside of him. Something that made him have a reason to stay there other than he wouldn't be caught by anyone looking for him.

He felt as if for the first time ever, he had a brother. The past few days Techno had spent with Wilbur, they had just gotten closer. They would walk around the house together and watch the same TV shows. They would even play small games of pretend and have fake battles with pillows and sticks they found outside. And now... Techno had just comforted him from the storm outside and he felt no motion to wake him up to ruin his sleep... He only wanted to protect him. He wanted to protect his brother. 

He's my brother now, He decided silently, And no matter what happens, I will protect him before anything or anyone else.

A/N: Heya! Sorry for the shorter-than-usual chapter, but I really wanted to get this part in hehe. Anyways- I know that the story has been a bit slow and lacking in drama, but I swear I have many plots planned that will get rolling in the next few chapters! I just gotta give each character their starter moment and get some details (and foreshadowing) going beforehand ^^! But anyways- thank you so much for the support on the story so far! I get super happy whenever I get a new notification from this story kdsfkjsgskflgsl (: