Dark Nights [Chapter sixteen]

{Tommy's POV}

TW: Child abuse, Trauma, Bad parenting

As he stared up all the looming figures, Tommy could feel his mind grow fuzzy. He could see past them and through the door behind them, a warm glow coming from the house. He longed to slip past them just to get warm, the cold nipping at any bit if him that wasn't already numb from the snow. He gulped, his throat feeling like sandpaper from the lack of water he has had recently, even with all of the powdery flakes of ice all around him. He had also been crying for a good part of the night, wishing his parents would return for him... Wishing that the sun would reach down and cup him in its warm hands. Of course, however, that never happened, and he had just passed out on the ground while the snow piled up all around him.

Slowly, he lifted his eyes up from the warmth filtering from the front door as he heard whispers come from above him. He looked up only to see the two younger boys, staring down at him with an almost judgmental look in their faces. The taller one with the pink hair and weird ears just folded his arms and stared at the envelope in Tommy's hands. The shorter one- yet somehow still being taller than Tommy- stared down at him with a bit more curiosity than harshness.

Finally Tommy looked up to the man, who held a look in his eyes that Tommy couldn't quite understand. He was frowning, but not in an angry way. He just seemed confused but also sad- Tommy had no idea what kind if emotion that was. But he did know that he was meant to give the envelope in his hands to him.

Slowly, the smell of cooking- or already cooked- bacon reached Tommy's nose. His stomach let out a growl and he tried to wrap his numb arms around himself in order to push the pang of hunger down. As he balled his fists up, pain flashed through them like fire, yet the cold seemed to have been the source of this pain. He quickly relaxed his hands, each shiver coming from them feeling like daggers being dragged down his knuckles. It was strange how he felt so numb and yet so much pain and fury at the same time.

Tommy was beginning to grow restless and uncomfortable, his feet throbbing with pain and cold, and his legs giving an unstopping shiver and tremble. His teeth chattered even more and he tightened his grip on the envelope, trying to hold it up for the taller man. He silently begged to be let into the warm house or for his parents to come back to pick him up.

Before the taller man could take it,  however, the brown-haired boy stepped forward bravely and he looked down at Tommy. He hesitated before giving a grin, holding his pale hand out. He seemed warm, at least warmer than Tommy. His hair was very fluffy and he seemed a little nervous when stepping forward.

"Hello! I am Wilbur and this is Techno. We live here with Philza- Why are you here though?" The boy, Wilbur, quickly rattled off. As Techno was mentioned, his pink ears twitched and he grunted lightly, looking away. 

Tommy tried to shift his feet before answering, but a flash of pain shot up his legs and he only ended up stumbling forward. As he did so, Wilbur leapt back and ended up standing behind Techno once more, who was just watching as Tommy fell forward with his bright eyes.

Tommy threw his hands out in front of him, letting out a cry as gravity snatch up his movements. He dreaded the feel of the hard and frozen ground against his face, not wanting to feel that much pain again. He squeezed his eyes shut, but that flash of pain never hit his face. The ground didn't rush up to meet him and the cold didn't bite down like he thought it would. Instead, he felt warm hands under his arms, keeping him from falling. The warmth instantly seemed to feel welcoming to him, chasing away the fear and panic rushing through his mind and giving him a sudden sense of hope and belonging.

He slowly opened his eyes again, only to see the face of the man- Philza- looking back at him with worry in his eyes. He had caught him before he fell, and he didn't even look like he was about to let go until Tommy was able to regain his balance. He was crouched down to Tommy's height, his mouth parted as he breathed quickly.