The Escape [Chapter Four]

{Techno's POV}

The pink-haired boy peered out from over the exploded window and out onto the pavement below. He could smell the rot from inside of the house being blown away as the scent of fresh air and sky filtered in. His mouth tasted dry from his nervousness of escaping and from the adrenaline rushing through him. He could feel the breeze from outside against his skin and through his simple, red t-shirt. Slowly, he heard the voices emerging from outside as they wondered what had happened to the window above and why a broken TV was now outside.

As one of the onlookers tilted their head back- looking towards the window Techno was at- the boy quickly ducked back inside and hid behind the wall. He clenched his fists, his nerves getting the best of him, knowing that if he tried to climb down, the bystanders would see and try and stop him. He really didn't want to fight off adults when all he wanted was to get away. When all he wanted was to spend a day without trying to avoid the strike of his apointed guardian.

What do I do.... he thought as he closed his eyes and rested his head against the rough wall. He sighed deeply before the idea came to him- he would simply be faster than they are! If and when they notice him, he could just jump the rest of the way down and run off! Surely he was quicker than those old people? Techno knew of a nearby forest, and although he often heard howling from it, he was certain that he would be able to climb up a tree and hide from the wild animals. Nobody would want to follow him deep into that forest, and it would be his perfect escape.

Trying not to let his mind dwell too much on what he would do once he was in the forest, Techno pushed himself from the wall and turned towards the window once more. He took a deep breath and nodded to himself, reconfirming his plan with his own jumbled thoughts. He walked forward and brought his foot up onto the bottom-inside frame. He hissed through the pain as he felt hidden and small glass shards strike through his foot. But Techno wouldn't let that stop him as he hauled the rest of himself up. After all, it was blood for the blood god.

He was now crouched down on the window frame inside the window, staring down at the ground below. His heart raced fearfully and he felt his legs start to tremble. Slowly, he drew in a breath and slid from the broken window and onto a small ledge lining the outside wall. He couldn't help but a small whimper as he felt the glass dig deeper into his foot, warm blood starting to ooze from the cuts. Not to mention his fear of falling catching up to him. He was still a very young boy, far too young to be edging along the walls like a spider.

Come on... he thought to himself, shutting his eyes tightly. Techno slowly started shuffling along the edge, his hands clutching onto the soft indents of the brick wall. He didn't dare looking down to see how high he was, too scared that he would fall.

"Hey! A kid!" came a shout from the gathered group below. Techno could feel their eyes lock onto him, and he heard their shouts and footsteps as they came to get him- to stop him from freedom! The hair on the back of his neck began to rise and he felt his fingers curl in fear and anger at being spotted. Techno tried to turn his head to see how close the onlookers were, but as he did so his body turned as well and he lost the grip on the bricks. Soon after, his feet slipped from under him and gravity took control of his body. Time seemed to slow as Techno fell from the ledge, his eyes wide and a shout on his lips. He thought that this was the end- that he was about to breath his last breath-

But before death could claim another life, Techno's fall was cusioned by the grasp of a couple pairs of arms. The group that had been examining the broken glass and the smashed TV had seen him fall and had been there to catch him. They cheered as they seemed to have thought that they saved his life, yet they didn't seem to want to put him down. They acted as if they just caught the golden ticket in the Chuck-E-Cheese ticket machine, instead of a boy who was desperatly trying to run away.