The Rat Colony [Chapter Thirteen]

[WARNING: This chapter contains violence, blood, and gory bits- along with rats. If you would like to skip all of that, then please skip to the 31st paragraph- however beyond paragraph 31, it will still mention blood and rats!]

{Wilbur's POV}

Staring ahead with a frozen shock, Wilbur could see the bodies of swarming rats fill the opposite side of the room. Their pelts were nearly invisible in the darkness, spare the rats that almost seemed to glow in red streaks of blood. Their evil eyes were fixated on Techno- who was still fallen on the ground- and on Wilbur- who was stood still by Techno's side, frozen in fear. Their stench seemed to grow closer, musky with mud, blood, urine, and an indescribable smell of trash that has the power to carry the bubonic plague across the world. They were a lot larger than mice and they seemed ready to feast on the prey that had fallen into their trap.

Slowly, they seemed to crawl closer to them, their long bodies sloshing the murky water around. Squeaks that sounded like cackles echoed off of the wall and surrounded Wilbur, growing louder and louder. Wilbur brought his hands up to his ears as the noise of them pounded into his skull, and he could see Techno pick himself back up from the corner of his eye. Wilbur glanced back to him after he had gotten up, and he watched as the other shifted and moved to stand next to Wilbur. He seemed to be hunting the ground for something with his bright berry-colored eyes, which Wilbur could hardly see in the pitch darkness. Luckily, his eyes were getting used to the dark so he was able to see slight outlines of objects and ripples of the shallow water, but as he looked back to the rats he saw that they seemed to have multiplied.

Wilbur lowered his hands from his ears as the rats continued closer, their screeches still growing louder and louder. The sounds of their feet below the water almost shook the ground and Wilbur began to back up with his hands out, speechless and without a clue as to what to do in this situation. He tried to stare at their eyes, which he almost swore were glowing with their evil glow and their tainted gaze. Them seemed to be creeping closer towards Techno rather than Wilbur. Techno, however, was standing in a protective stance in front of Wilbur, staring at the rats. Wilbur wished he knew what he was thinking about and what plan they had so he could try and save them both.

A sharp squeak and the feeling of sharp fangs sinking deep into his right leg alerted Wilbur that some rats had slunk closer to him and avoided his attention. He shouted and stumbled away, trying to shake the heavy rat from him. He felt a warm trickle of blood trickle down his leg, and he couldn't tell what it was. Wilbur lifted up his other foot and tried to stomp it down onto the rat. Luckily, he managed to strike it right on it's face, and it dislocated. A large splash could be heard as the rat fell into the water, and it let out a frustrated screech that sounded like it came from the very depths of Hell. A few droplets of spit or blood could also be heard as it followed the first splash moments later. Looking down, Wilbur could see more tiny demon rats racing closer, aiming for his legs, trying to take him down. Wilbur gasped and stumbled back, only to step on another rat. He swiftly turned and spotted three or four more rats staring at him, so he acted quickly. Wilbur pulled back his leg and he gave a sharp kick at the rats, sending a few flying. But the moment he managed to get rid of one, two others appeared.

As Wilbur struggled to get away from the rats, he glanced over to see how Techno was fairing. He looked over just in time to see him scoop down, his hand vanishing into the water before straightening up with what looked like a rock in his grasp. However, as he brought it back up, a big rat jumped forward and attached it's teeth into Techno's arm. His shouts seemed to echo louder than the rat's screams, and Wilbur felt his heart skip a frightful beat.

"TECHNO!" Wilbur shouted out, taking a few sloppy steps towards him, however a rat clung onto the back of his leg which caused him to stumble to a stop. Pain flew up his leg and he let out a cry, turning to try and shake it off of him. He began to stomp onto the ground with his leg, which caused the rat to bounce off with a few flying droplets of blood to fly into the water below. Quickly, Wilbur looked back to Techno, who was also managing to rip the rat off of him. His breath was caught as the rat was disconnected form Techno's arm, causing the shirt to rip and for a splatter of dark blood to fly from it's mouth in a string and trail. The blood fell into the water, and Wilbur didn't want to even guess how much it has spilt as his worry and fear began to grow.