Chapter 19

Sakusa's POV

What was Atsumu doing? I glanced over, watching him with a little girl in the far side of the gym. I parted from the team and walked over. 

"Sakusa! Hey, wanna try tossing to Sakusa??" Atsumu asked the little girl who nodded. I just gave my boyfriend a raised brow but kneeled as well and tossed the ball back and forth with the little girl. She giggled, tossing the ball at Atsumu who caught it. I was surprised when she attacked me in a hug. 

I stayed there for a moment before slowly patting her back and telling her she did well. She smiled and hung onto me when suddenly she was roughly pulled off of me. I looked up to see, who I am assuming is her foster mother, yank the girl off of me.

"Apologies. Come on girl." She said, dragging the little girl away and towards the hallway. I furrowed my brows and stood up, Atsumu looking angry as he followed them. 

Atsumu's POV

I huffed, watching that lady dragging that little girl out the door by her arm. I stood right by the door so I could hear her when it sounded like she began a scolding.

"What do you think you're doing girl."

"...I.."

"Do you think that you're so special that you can just get a private lesson with the setter and blocker of a national team?"

"...No."

"Then why were you."

"Sakusa and Atsumu-" I heard a smack. 

"Don't you know how rude it is to address men like them like that? I'm only here so that I get that bonus for dragging your ungrateful behind here. Now go play with the other children and leave those men alone." I heard the woman say viciously. I moved away from the door back by the team when the woman walked back in. The little girl quietly followed and kept her head down and hands to herself.

The woman sat back down and went back to looking at her phone as the little girl just went back to her hiding spot behind the bleachers. I glanced at Sakusa who nodded his head. I parted from the group again and sat down next to the little girl who was watching the game through the bleacher seats.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked gently, the little girl avoiding looking at me as she nodded.

"Yes Mr. Atsumu..."

"You don't have to call me Mister, if you don't want to."

"..."

"Do you want to play some more?"

"No thank you.." She mumbled, sounding like she was gonna cry. I gently tapped her back, getting her to turn around. One of her cheeks looked redder than the other. I gave a slightly pained look before extending my arms, inviting her for a hug. She fiddled with her hands before hugging me and climbing in my lap.

I wrapped my arms around her since we were out of view of her "mother". She hid her face in my chest and started to cry. But she was crying so silently, I hadn't even noticed until I felt her tears soak through my jersey. 

"Oh baby.. come on, let's go get you some ice for your cheek and some water, okay?" I said, getting a tiny nod. I managed to get up and carry her out of the gym and to the back room where food, ice, and other equipment for the team was kept. I kept her in my one arm while I got the things with the other.

Her cheek still looked red, so I held an ice pack on her cheek for a few moments to prevent any bruising or swelling before giving her some water. She sipped on it quietly as I carried her back to the gym where the mother was talking to Sakusa. Once the mother noticed I returned, she rushed over to me with a smile.

"Mr. Miya, I am so sorry for the trouble she is causing you! Here, I will take her." The lady said, extending her arms. The little girl's grip on me tightened, and I tightened my grip on her.

"She's no trouble."

"Oh but you needn't trouble yourself like this sir." She said, clearly trying to be polite. But all I saw was a money-hungry woman who didn't care for her child. Well, foster child. 

"May I ask your name, miss?"

"Of course, I am Mrs. Sato." She said with a smile. I just nodded, turning a bit when she tried taking the girl from my grip. She looked at me confused and a bit angry when I denied her to take this girl from me.

"If you don't mind, Mrs. Sato. I need to make a phone call, and I think some company would be nice. We will be right back, so, if you please." I said, walking away from her and back to the back room. Sakusa unlocked the door and walked in as well.

"What are you doing Atsumu."

"I'll explain later.." I grumbled, in all seriousness grabbing the phone in the room with one hand.

"Sakusa. What's the name of the agency all these kids are from?"

"...Atsumu."

"Please?" I said, Sakusa sighing and telling me. I looked up and dialed the number, waiting for it to ring. Once a woman answered on the other end, I spoke with her. I explained who I was and she happily asked me how the event was going. 

I told her it was going well, and that all the children were doing wonderfully and seemed happy, except for one. The lady listened as I really did complain to her about seeing an abused child here with her foster parent. The woman asked for the name of the parent and child. When I told her, the lady seemed to sound very saddened.

She said there was little she could do about this. I stayed quiet, looking at the little girl in my arms. I knew what it was like to not be loved. Sakusa did too. This little girl was only like 5 or 6. But she was breaking, if not already broken. I couldn't let her stay with that woman. 

"How do I qualify to become a foster parent?"