1: The Return

Updated: June 8, 2015

This story starts at the beginning of season three. I know that the beginning is a little rough but I promise it will get better :-) Before you ask I'm not sure how relationships are going to turn out, but I can say that everyone will be a little Out Of Character at times and I might lean away from the TV story line from time to time.

Things you need to know::

Vicki has no relation to Matt whats so ever. She was just friends with baby Gilbert and stuff
Maddie has been friends with the gang for years but has been gone for the past 11 months.
ALWAYS READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTES!

XXXXXXXXX

It felt odd to be back. It had been less than a year since she had left on the Mystic high overseas trip but time had a way of twisting itself and Maddie couldn't tell if it had been an eternity since she had been back or if no time at all had passed since she last drove through these streets. It felt like just yesterday she had been driving off to the airport with her friends, and yet the memory felt like it had been made years ago. Her friends. A smile pulled at her lips at the thought of the upcoming reunion. She had missed the girls, Bonnie, Caroline, and Elena, dearly. They were the reason behind her early return after all.

Everything had gone crazy after she left, but she had been persuaded to stay on her trip up until now. For some reason she couldn't fathom, Maddie stayed away when Elena's parents died the month after she left and again when Bonnie's grandmother passed. She had heard that Vicki had OD'd (that one she wasn't as surprised about), Ty's dad died in a fire, and surprisingly enough the list just went on and on. It was like an angel of death had taken her absence as an invitation. Then there was also the 'normal' drama such as Elena's new boyfriend, Bonnie's relationship with Jere, and other high school shenanigans. Caroline's had kept her up to date with daily phone calls about everything and in return, Maddie had told her all about her trip to Europe. It had honestly been great. It was an exchange program sort of thing, Maddie went to Europe with her group of Americans and a group of kids from all over Europe came to the US. It had given her a chance to practice her French and Italian, see some of the world, go to new shops, and practice her magic.

Yes, it was true, Maddie Donovan was a witch. She had always known that there was something different about herself. It was something that she could always feel, but had never been able to understand until Bonnie's Grams had reached out to her. If it wasn't for Grams, Maddie have never understood. The young witch shuttered to think of what may have become of her had she been left to deal with her developing powers alone. She would be eternally grateful to Sheila for helping her keep control of her emerging powers when she was thirteen. Since then she had gone to the occult teacher's house twice a week to learn, telling her friends that she was earning service hours by helping Grams with things at her work. The girls had believed her fib in the beginning, but after a while it was clear she had already earned more than the needed number of service hours. They had correctly deduced that she enjoyed her time with the occult teacher and after some friendly teasing they had accepted that and moved on.

Lying to them was one of the hardest things Maddie was asked to do in the course of her training, but Sheila had said if they were to live normal lives they couldn't know of her powers. Maddie wanted that for them. She wanted to make sure that Caroline and Elena could go off to college and move away from this crazy little town if they wanted. She knew Bonnie would come into her powers at some point and she had waited eagerly for the day that she could share what she knew to at least one of the three.

When Bonnie, Caroline and Elena had video called her and told her that Grams had died she had openly cried her eyes out. She had tried to convince them that she would come back to Mysticfalls but had been convinced to stay overseas. She remembered that Bonnie had been the one to finally stop her protests. She had said one little sentence that made Maddie's hear swell.