12: The Ties That Bind

ALL REVIEWERS AND READERS-

Thank you for reading (And possibly reviewing) It means a lot that you've stuck with the story despite my horrible updating times! :)

.

.

.

IMPORTANT::

I do not own TVD, if I did you would have seen all of this on TV lol

Thanks to all reviewers!

XXXXXXXXX

"Damn it!" Maddie exclaimed, frustrated at yet another failed attempt to get the last coffin open. This morning she had gotten up at the crack of dawn just as she had been doing for the past few days. It wasn't that she suddenly had a change of heart and loved mornings, but really early and really late were the only times she could get to the coffin without Bonnie there.

She had heard about what Stefan had done to Elena after she had left and felt a small wave of guilt wash over her. If she hadn't had left, then she might have been able to stop it. Yeah, she was mad at the girls and all, but that didn't mean she wanted them to get hurt, she just needed some space, which for the most part she had been given. Of course the girls had tried to get her to talk to them when they saw her at school the next day, Elena especially wouldn't take a hint, but after she had ignored them through the entirety of Alaric's class, not sat with them at Lunch, and offered to work with Tiki's practice squad as their flyer for the week instead of Caroline's they had backed off.

The thing was, space got lonely. More often then she liked, Maddie found herself thinking she would just go to the boarding house and hang out with Rebekah instead of wallowing in her passive aggressive attitude towards her friends... But then she remembered that Rebekah wasn't at the boarding house anymore. She was off sunbathing in Florida, or shopping in Paris, and had left without even a goodbye.

With all this free time you would have assumed that Maddie would have been enjoying the sweet relief of nothing. Well that would have meant that you'd have forgotten about a significant player in the game. Katherine. True to her word, Katherine had called her the day after Caroline's birthday with a meeting spot. Against her better judgment, and fueled by her anger towards her friends, Maddie had gone. it had been the same thing the day after and the day after that. Each day at some point she would get a phone call or a text telling her where and when to meet Katherine. The meetings normally had her busy for several hours at most, and an hour at least.

Maddie wasn't sure if the girl had a change of heart or not, but she wasn't about to start that conversation if she could help it which meant that she just needed to avoid them. The easiest way would be to just stop helping, but that would mean she had given up. And Maddie Donovan didn't give up. Plus, Maddie wasn't about to listen to Bonnie and stop using her magic. She would admit that something weird was going on, but since she didn't know how to stop it, she didn't think it was worth halting part of her life. Lately the dreams had been more frequent, happening once when she fell asleep each night, and then after she woke again in the middle of the night with a start and a bit of blood dripping out of her nose. Bonnie had been right about her being channeled, she could feel it at night sometimes, someone tapping into her powers. The bright side was that it hadn't been nearly as much as before... But the bad part was that she had no idea who it would be. Actually, scratch that. She had a bit of an idea. A lot had happened in Europe... Maybe I left something there, I'll call the Salgado's this afternoon. She thought to herself before letting out a breath and walked around the large coffin to look at the three others.

The little blonde witch slowly opened the lid of one of the coffins and found herself looking down into the cold dead face of Elijah. She felt her lips turn down into a soft frown as she gazed at him. She didn't know him personally, but she couldn't help the feeling that she knew him somehow, and chalked it up to the dreams again. After all, if your dreaming about someone two-three times a night, plus the oh so pleasant occasional waking vision, you get to know a person. Elijah didn't deserve to be daggered. Maddie reached out and gently tugged at his toe, straightening it from it's previously crooked position. She was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn't hear the two girls behind her come down the steps.