9-3: Homecoming

Updated: August 3,2015

Important Stuff::

I do not own TVD just my lot and characters

XXXXXXXXX
The ride to Mystic Falls high school was uneventful. Bonnie and Caroline had taken the front seats while Maddie happily accepted the space in the back. The girls had started up a conversation, but as they dragged on Maddie found it harder and harder to stay awake. She stifled a yawn with her hand and resisted the urge to slip into another round of uneventful sleep. Now that I think about it, I haven't really gotten any good sleep lately... She had chalked the odd dreams that disturbed her slumber for the past few nights as a side effect of her fainting/coma thing that had happened down at the caves. Add all the stress she had been under since she came back to Mystic Falls and fessed up about all of her supernatural experience and she figured it was reason enough to be having some odd dreams. With that in mind, the witch leaned her head against the window and looked out at the passing houses and trees. After a few minutes her eyelids became heavy again and she let them fall closed. Just a little nap. She thought as she felt the sweet numbness creep up on her and she was swept into the world of dreams.

XXXXXXXXX

As Madelyn stared out the window she smiled at what she saw. She wasn't watching the birds, or animals or even the people, she was just enjoying the sunshine. She bit the inside of her lip as she thought, it was a bad habit of hers. It was a welcomed experience to everyone, a beautiful reminder that spring was finally here. Winter had been long and taxing on the entire village this year. Not to mention, boring. Madelyn was never one to like chores, but after the first few weeks of being stuck inside for hours on end because of the cold, she would have welcomed them, just because then she would have something to do. While she was stuck in doors with her youngest brother (But he was always quick to remind her, he was still older than her) Henrik, and her mother, all of her other family members were needed for work. Many, many things still needed to be done, despite the chill in the air. To afford food from the markets, Elijah, Finn, Niklaus and their father had all decided to take shifts as guards. During the cold months none of the men were eager to claim shifts to watch the town in the night or early hours of the morning when the birds don't call, so as incentive the unwanted times would give more pay. Not by much, but enough to catch Mikael's interest, so he of course, signed him along with his eldest boys up to work and was rewarded fairly. It was their main source of income but there was also other tasks that needed being done. For instance, Kol collected a bit of currency by doing various jobs around the village like fetching a few pales of water for Ayanna and her neighbors, and kicking snow clear from doorways. They weren't taxing jobs by any means, but just things that people didn't feel like doing themselves when they had the option of staying safe and warm in their huts. Rebekah and Esther took care of the house while the men were at work, which in reality was much harder than it appeared and there was a great deal of things that needed to be done each and every day. The youngest Mikaelson children helped out their family members where they could, but in most occasions one of their family members would tell them that it was just too chilly for them to go out or that they could help with something else later on.

The little golden-haired girl had learned early on that she wouldn't have much time with the rest of her family other than dinner of course. At first, though she would have never admitted it out loud, she had been relieved. Less time doing chores, and less time being in the same room as her father. Both things seemed good to her! After a bit though she didn't like it as much.

When she went to talk to her sister she would be shooed off. Her big brothers slept while she was awake so they would be able to stay up during the night watch with Mikael, and her mother was busy either helping Rebekah, or mending clothes for her boys. The only ones she could rely on to have a little fun was Henrik, who was in the same position as she, or of course, Kol.