8: Darkness

Updated: July 16,2015

Ok, so in this chapter there are a few great sister moments between Rebekah and Maddie as a quick Damon and Maddie funny moment, so think of it as my way of apologizing for the zero flashbacks in the other one :) (PS I am also sorry or the spelling mistakes in the last chapter and the authors notes, I must have forgotten to spell check it before posting...)

Disclaimer::

I only own Maddie and my plot (sadly) and any characters I make up as well (Hint-hint (; )

XXXXXXXXX

Rebekah had been tortured many ways over the years. There had been stakes, fire, vervain, fangs, werewolf venom, the occasional human device, and she's even had her heart pulled out once or twice, but it was nothing compared to the pain she felt now as she watched her sister. Tear streaks still showed on her cheeks, visible in the flickering firelight to even a human observer. After a very silent car ride, Rebekah had decided to take her dear Madelyn back to the boarding house where she (Bekah) was currently taking residence. Maddie didn't object, figuring that her own home would be the first place the girls would try to look for her and the risk of encountering the two Salvators wasn't to terrible while they were dealing with the ghost situation with Bonnie and Caroline.

Once they reached the old building, Rebekah stopped the car and put it in park. Rebekah watched as Maddie frustrated wiped tears away from her watery blue eyes with the back of her hand. Rebekah knew that she should just let her sister deal with it, give the girl time to figure everything out... but she really didn't want to. She wanted to be able to help her sister, and she couldn't do that without a few answers. So as always, Rebekah did what she wanted to.

As Maddie reached for the smooth handle to the car door Rebekah acted and quickly reached over, grabbing her sister's wrist in a gentle but restraining grip. She was acutely aware of her sister's weak, human state and wouldn't hold her any tighter than she needed to, she wouldn't want to leave even so much as a bruise on her baby sister. Maddie looked at her wrist and then up at Rebekah questioningly through her still watery eyes.

"What happened?" Rebekah asked. Her tone was soft, but Maddie could hear the steadily building wall of determination behind it. She knew in the back of her mind that Rebekah was determined to get her answers, but she couldn't help but wonder why. The witch shook her head, refusing to talk about her terrible day even if she knew it was a futile fight. She tried to pull her hand from Rebekah's grip as she quickly replied.

"Not now." She had managed to keep most of the tears from her voice as she spoke, and hold back most evidence of her sadness. She knew it was obvious and she hated herself for it, because in the back of her mind she saw it as the one thing no one in her biological family would accept in themselves. Weakness.

Rebekah frowned at her answer and shook her head with growing irritation. She was starting to see why her brothers found it so annoying when she was upset, she got stubborn. "Stop being so bloody stubborn, Madelyn." The blonde vampire said, quickly growing frustrated. She wasn't upset with Maddie, she was just upset that she couldn't help, and furious that someone had made Mads this upset to start with. "Tell me what's wrong."

Again Maddie replied to same way as she had before. "No." She insisted as she finally managed to wrench her hand away from Rebekah. She reached for the door again, grasping the smooth polished surface. She had just begun to pull at it when a soft 'click' resonated through the car. Maddie knew what had happened but tried at the door several times anyway, pulling it towards her a few times before Rebekah's voice came to her yet again.

"Automatic car locks, amazing invention." She commented, her head slightly cocked and a sly smile on her lips. She couldn't deny the fact that she enjoyed winning, and it was especially satisfying when she won something between her family, seeing as they all hated it as much as she did. As the small glow of momentary pride in herself faded, she turned back to the problem at hand. When she next spoke all the smugness that had filled her voice seconds ago had been replaced with a caring tone. Rebekah forced away all of her anger that had also returned with her focus moments ago, reminding herself that she couldn't take her frustration out on her poor sister, she seemed to have had a rough enough day already. She placed a slim, gentle hand on Maddie's shoulder. "Come on, Love. What's wrong?" She asked.