8-2: Darkness

Updated: July 22,2015

DISCLAIMER-

I do not own the vampire diaries BTW!

XXXXXXXXX

Flickers of firelight bounced around on the rough rocky surface of the cave walls. Not a single mark had yet to scar the stone lining the inside of the Mikaelson's monthly shelter. Rebekah though was about to change that. The girl was standing on an upraised section of rock near the right side of the cave. One hand was pressed against the wall to help her keep balance while the other held a knife. Her long blonde hair had been pulled behind her in a thick braid that traveled down most of her back and at the top of her head more golden locks were threaded into a smaller braid around her face to keep the strands from falling into her eyes. The teenager wore a look of concentration as she lifted the simple piece of leather wrapped metal that served as a blade and started to carve. She wasn't quite sure why she had felt the need to do this, but she had. She was determined to place her family's names on this wall, if not just to curve her growing boredom. Suddenly her silent world of concentration was broken by a voice se knew by heart.

"Rebekah," Her brother started, a whining tone lacing through the deep undertones of his voice. "Let me have at it." He instructed as his blue eyes scanned the cave wall in front of his sister. He would never admit it, but Rebekah was doing a fairly good job with the blade for a woman.

Normally the soft whine in her brother's voice would have amused the blonde girl, but at the moment she just found it to be exceedingly annoying. "Quiet Niklaus." She scolded, almost breathless in her concentration. Her eyes did not once leave the wall or her work as she continued to talk to her torch holding other brother. "I have to have my concentration if I'm not to slice off a finger." She pointed out. the steady sound of her knife scratching against the stone bounced off the walls around the two as the spoke. The sound reminded Niklaus of something, the noise was harsh and cruel, not unlike their father. Maybe that I the way to remove her from her project. The young man thought before acting on his latest idea.

"Father will not like you handling the blade." He pointed out snidely, muttering under his breath. He looked off to the side of the cave where the wall opened up into a walkway or sorts, as if he expected the scruffy old man to come charging in at that very moment, eyes full of anger.

The scraping stopped as soon as Nik's words reached his sister's ear. Rebekah stopped what she was doing and turned ever so slightly towards her brother. She now could just hardly see him out of the corner of her eyes. Her face the definition of annoyance, but the stringy haired boy could not see that, all he saw was that his sister had stopped working. for a moment he thought his battle had been won... That is until Rebekah started speaking.

"If I want to wield a blade, I shall wield a blade." She said firmly, her voice leaving no room for argument. The flicker of hope that had caught in her brother's eyes was quickly snuffed out as she turned back to the wall she had worked at. She muttered one last thing as she lifted her hands to start carving again. "Father need not know." The scraping from before started up again as the steel made contact with stone.

Nik turned his gaze away and towards the door as he continued on his course to get Rebekah to stop. "He will find out. He always does." He muttered, speaking as if this was a fact that everyone should already know. Now Rebekah turned fully towards her brother, deciding to stop this silly little game of back and forth that he had started.

"That is because you always tell him." She quipped as she started to walk down from her perch next to the wall. She leisurely made her way around a small boulder, her green skirt of her dress swaying around her feet ever so slightly before she stopped to stand in front of him. Klaus sighed a but looked apologetically at his sister. He knew she was right.