14: Dangerous Liaisons

I hope everyone likes the chapter and sorry for the seriousness, I'll try not to do it again :)

XXXXXXXXX

Esther just smiled, gazing at her beautiful girl with a knowing glint in her eye before she repeated the same thing she told her before. "All in due time, my darling..." Then she turned so she could see all of her children and looked each of them in the eyes one by one. "I want us to be a family again."

Maddie swore it was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. None of the Originals dared to speak out against Esther, they might be a thousand years old but they were still kids and they all knew to listen to their mother. The silence hung in the air like a fog for a minute before Rebekah cautiously began to voice the largest (but clearly not the only) flaw in Esther's plan. "Mum..." She started, waiting for Esther's gaze to meet her own before continuing. "She doesn't remember us." It was clear to most of her siblings who she was talking about, even without using her name.

Kol's gaze flew to the youngest member of the room and for what must be the fifth time that he took in the startlingly familiar features. As soon as he had seen the girl walk in he had been amazed at the similarity between her and his baby sister. He had thought that maybe life had shined in Madelyn's favor after all and this had been some descendant of hers, proof that she had had a life and gotten married, at least that's what Kol convinced himself. He was irked at the thought of Madelyn being with a man that had pledged to protect her and care for her until death, so he didn't even think about the possibility of her becoming like Tatia, entertaining multiple relationships at once. Now though, as Rebekah spoke of not remembering he began to think of another possibility, one where somehow this girl was his sister. The eyes are the same... He thought, inspecting the various shades of blue that danced together in a beautiful web inside her crystal orbs. Still has Bekah's hair... He went through a few more of these observations before deciding to for once trust Rebekah and muttered. "So this is Madelyn..." Under his breath. He then caught sight of the small blue pendant hanging under the dark bruises around her neck and his eyes widened, in all honestly he had practically forgotten what that necklace looked like. He could never forget getting it for her with his brothers or how many stalls he had to muck to earn his share of the needed money to get it, but as for what it looked like, well a thousand years can put a strain on even the best of memories. "Is that the necklace?" He asked, wanting to make sure he wasn't making a mistake. The man vamp-sped over to stand in front of the girl and reached out to grab the pendant. To his surprise, a sharp fiery pan ran though his fingertips when it brushed the metal causing him to pull back. Maddie took a step back and frowned at Kol while he looked at the angry looking burn marks that were healing on his hand. The Original could practically feel his siblings smirking behind him at his misfortune, so he kept his eyes on Madelyn instead. "What was that?" he asked sounding both surprised and frustrated. At the same time though, he made sure to remind himself that both his mother and apparently his baby sister were in the room and kept his language in check.

Maddie's response made most everyone smile despite themselves, she had taken to saying it often after starting her lessons with Ayanna. It was actually a bit refreshing to hear it again, even if it was a little more modern. "That wasn't yours to touch." The girl had taken a step back, incidentally landing her in the doorway out the room. She put a hand on the doorway and glanced towards the door that was just around the corner that lead outside. Suddenly making a run for it didn't seem like such a bad idea, even though the rational part of her mind knew it wouldn't solve anything.

While Maddie sorted through her options, Esther kept her eyes trained on the younger witch and addressed Rebekah's concern. With a knowing smile on her lips and a gleam in her eyes she muttered. "Are you sure, Rebekah?" The blonde vampire's face morphed into a look of confusion as she turned to her mother. She opened her mouth to answer but Esther had already moved on to Madelyn once more. "Maddie." She called, her voice commanding attention that the other witch gave when she turned and looked back at Esther.