2: Complicated

Updated: June 12,2015

XXXXXXXXX
Oh and I forgot to put a disclaimer in the first chapter but I do not own the vampire diaries characters or plotlines. I only own Maddie and my plot :)
XXXXXXXXX

Caroline really knows how to throw a party. Maddie thought when she finally arrived backing the Donovan home. She shut the door quietly, figuring Matt was already asleep. He had work tomorrow, or so she assumed and the last thing she wanted to do was wake him so late- or early rather. The blonde haired teen glanced at the clock as she tip-toed to her room and saw it was already 2:30 in the morning. At least I got to see everyone... And I get to sleep in tomorrow anyway. Matty wouldn't wake me. Holding back a yawn, Maddie opened her door and stepped into the room she had been missing for the past 11 months.

The walls were coated in a gentle green paint that she had picked out when she was ten. It had been her birthday present that year, letting her cover up the horrible floral wallpaper that had been there since before Maddie joined the family. In the corner there was a little white desk for schoolwork and doodling. Above that was a shelf that held a few pictures of herself and Matt, she and her friends and even her adoptive mother, Kelly. A fuzzy beige carpet lined the small room's floor, a request Maddie had when she was little. She had a bedside table with a lamp and an alarm clock along with a little easel folded up against the wall. There didn't seem to be much in the room, and in reality there wasn't. It was no secret that the Donovans didn't have much money, but she was alright with that. She was satisfied with what she had... Most of the time.

Maddie glanced around again and saw there were clean sheets on her bed, which made her grin. It seemed that even a drunk Matt was a sweet one. He must have dressed her bed for her when he got back from the party. In a moment of childish joy at once again being in her childhood bedroom Maddie took off running towards her bed, jumpingonto it with a giggle as she bounced on her back. She laid back and grabbed her pillow, hugging it to her with a content sigh. Words couldn't explain how happy she was to be back.

Fifteen minutes later she was out of her dress and make-up free. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and tossed the soft cream covers back before slipping into her bed. She reached towards the lamp to turn off her lights but paused. She spotted something peeking out from under her bed.

She hesitated before unwrapping herself from her cocoon of covers. Crawling to the edge of her bed she reached down and retrieved an old cardboard box pulling it up onto her bed. She knew exactly what it was and what hid inside, but felt the need to look through the items once more. Setting it beside her, she opened the flaps of the box with practiced ease and started pulling out what hid inside.

The first thing she saw was a little brown dress. It was sized for a child and, if she was being completely honest, looked a little like a Halloween costume. The style certainly wasn't from this century. The fabric was rough and dirty, but for some reason Maddie knew it would be warm. She knew it could keep out the harsh winds when they came in the winter and wouldn't tear if snagged by a tree or pulled by a bush's thorn. She rubbed the fabric with her thumb as she flipped it over to look at the back. There were old leather laces near the collar that she never could figure out how to tie properly. That didn't stop her from trying though.

She kept hold of the little gown with one hand and she reached into the box with another, pulling out a doll. The fabric was the same as the one used in the dress, and looked to be handmade. The stitches were small and carefully sewn so they would last. The doll itself was filled with sand and had a painted on face and blonde locks made from what she could only assume to be horse hair. Maddie guessed that it had once been soft to the touch, but time had left its mark.