Chapter Fourteen

The next day I wake up early and drink my coffee in the chilly morning. Winter is coming after all. I clean my living space for a while, bringing my kit of rulers, pens and needles nearby. Once I've finally found an acceptable dress I hear the knock on my door. I check the clock, slightly late I think, but I don't have the energy to complain about that now.

I put on my "this is about work" face and open the door. I don't look him in the eyes and neither does he. Tommy is the first to enter and I direct them to the living room. I measure them quickly and only touch them when it's absolutly neccesary. After I have everything I need I start questioning them about the fabrics, their preferences and so on.

John huffs a laugh and looks at Tommy.
"Look hon' . I don't know a thing about how suits are made and all that. Do why don't you have a talk with Tommy here and serve me and my brothers with a drink eh"
I look him up and down.
"First of all I am your seamstress, not bartender-"
"Oh come on-" he interrupts.
"And second of all, this ain't a bar. You can go, I'm done with you two" I say gesturing between him and Arthur. This time I look both of them in the eyes, John return the glare with his usual smugness, whilst Arthur looks away immediately.

They stand up and look at their brother. Tommy doesn't say a word, but nods silently as they exit my apartment.
"Here's a list of all you need and some alternatives if you can't find the right fabric" he says handing me a scribbled piece of paper "You also have some places where the Shelby name might help you get a better price"
"Price, exactly. I need some money to but everything, besides my weekly salary"

He pats his coat and takes something from an inner pocket. It looks like a crumpled piese of paper but he holds it as if it were important.
"What's that?"
"I try yo write down every expense of the boys so I can keep track. Write the sum that you'll need at the bottom"
I take it from his hand and search for some space on the paper. It looks like an agry child learned to draw lines all over it. Some names are crossed, other encircled, in no particular order. It's a mess. So I can't help it but escape a huffed laugh.

"This must be a joke" I say, but he looks puzzled. "Can you actually keep your bussines in order using this piece of paper? I expected more to be honest"
He seems.. embarrased? But that look is quickly gone and he steels himself again.
"It's none of your concern how I handle my money"
"Well it kind of is how because I can't trust this system of yours" I reply sharply.
"This is all I can manage and it has worked well enough for now."

I stare for an extra second. I can't trust him, not when it's about my money and my life too. Still, the words that come out of my mouth surprise me.
"I can develop a more organized system. My aunt was a great bussines woman and she knew how to handle her money well"
He doesn't feign surprise, not even a flinch, only the skeptical look deepens.
"And why should I trust you with my money?"
Good point.
"I have more experience than you in this domain clearly. You could test me for a couple of weeks and I will resign if anything bothers you"

I have no idea where does this sudden urge to make their life easier comes from. They are criminals and overall awful people to be honest.
Tommy nods and that's the last thing he does before getting out of my house.

This may be foolish, but information is a rare gem and I wouldn't trust anyone else to get it for me.

He considers me for a few minutes and then agrees, reluctantly.
"Fine, but I will ask for full transparency. If you give me the slightest reason of doubt, we're done and you won't see a penny."
I don't break the eye contact. " Fine by me"

He leaves with no other word and I'm left standing wondering how I managed to get so deep in this situation and so fast.
"This shall be interesting" I whisper.