Chapter Four

It has been a week since my lovely encounter with the Shelby brothers. Haven't wandered in that part of the city anymore and I usually try to leave with Anna, so I don't have to wonder who might linger in the dark on my way home. I try to enjoy my life as a dweller of Birmingham again, taking long walks along the river in the crisp mornings or just admiring the view from my working table of the grey roofs that sparkle like muddy gems at noon.

I haven't heard anything about the whereabouts of the Peaky Blinders, but to be honest I didn't care enough to listen. I was doing just fine with my pretty life, sewing and reading in my crammed but cozy apartment. No one was going to find me there.

Today started like every other day, the sun was barely shining and I had to wear a fuzzy coat to work. I started my day with a bitter coffee and work, but somehow my thoughts kept drifting away. I had to ask my boss to let me go home early because I couldn't focus on anything.

As I am now walking down the streets I think I might have caught a cold. I wouldn't be surprised with this crappy weather. I am rounding a corner and trying to keep my steps in the right direction when I hear shouts from one alley. The voices are followed by the sound of glass breaking. What the hell is that? It is barely three in the afternoon, I don't think they could be drunk by now, but Small Heath can always surprise me.

I turn to back away from the trouble, but as I'm making my way back I see a group of men, each of them dressed in suits and heavy coats and carrying guns. I later on observe those damn peaked hats and I swear under my breath. What is up with me and bad luck?

Coming from the other side of the street I see a bunch of coppers coming dirrectly toward the men. So what is this? The ones I suppose are peaky blinders start shouting something at the armoured men. Behing them another group of peakys apper. They are rioting and setting buildings on fire and, lucky me, is right in the middle of it.

I search for a way out, a narrow alley or a place I could hide but it's just the backs of some factories and that's it. And, all of a sudden, the shooting starts. Screams and cries of help burst from both sides but all I can do is wațch terrified as body after body falls to the ground. I force my legs to run towards the coppers, they must help me, but in the midsts of all that who would care for a lost girl. I am shoved aside by a police officer shooting bullet after bullet without any breaks, and the power of the impact throws me off balance and going head first into the hard pavement.

A broad hand grabs me, barely a breath from having my face smashed. Another hand laces around my waist and drags me away from the confrontation. I have no idea who my savior is until a sharp edged voice literally barks in my ear.

"What the hell do you think you're doing out here?"
Thomas Shelby, my knight in shining armor.
I try to explain myself, but there is no use. The sound of the two sides clashing together muted anything else, plus that my throat feels too sore to even attempt to speak.

He leads me away from the fighting, on the banks of the river. He puts me down carelessly and turns back the way we came from. Before he can get far enogh I urge my voice to sound as sure as possible.

"What is happening there?". No sign of emotion, no gratitude. I can't play that sort of games with them.
"Not your bussiness." he says flatly.
"Well it is kind of my bussiness now too, since I almost got trampled by one of you pricks." I answer getting up and letting a bit of my temper loose.
"You shouldn't have been there in the first place girl."
"Don't you dare talk down to me.."

"Or what? You're alone in a big bad city, full of angry men and guns. Just a rich young girl from the countryside. I'll tell you what you can do. Nothing, except to open that big mouth and judge others. You-" . His temper is showing too, and I can see him flexing his fingers trying to contain it.

"You have no idea who I am so you better get back to your little fight before another damsel needs your help" I snap.
"I could have let you be trampled by those coppers but instead I bothered to 'do the right thing' and all I've got is a fucking headache."
"Oh, how rude of me to hurt your feelings like that. I am so grateful that you saved poor me." I add with a smirk.

He turns his back on me and I can see the thin trickle of blood running down from his temple. So he did get hurt because of me. I try to tell myself that it didn't matter as long as he was still an asshole afterwards. But a small thorne of guilt makes me murmur a rushed "Thank you".

I am not sure he heard it, but he flinches, barely. Without stopping he says "Don't feel flattered. I mean everything I said and I only did this for Arthur."

I take another route to my apartment and as soon as I get there I collapse on the bed. Hell, no matter what I do, this Shelby boys keep showing up.