Chapter Five

After a long, well-deserved nap I rise up ready to stick my nose in Shelby family's bussiness. I am tired of being the fragile little girl who runs from danger. Don't get me wrong, I will still run away from those men, but first I want to find out more about the danger. Clearly the rumors are somewhat true, but I want to find out what did I get myself into.

The first thing I have to do is get a gun. Easier said than done, especially for a woman. I suppose I could ask Arthur since he made it clear that he had a thing for me. But I need to prove myself that I'm not helpless. So at work, I start asking discreetly about ways to get a gun without questions. I am mostly met by frowns and snorts, but Anna pulls me aside one day and says she has a cousin who might help. The price is a lot more than it's worth, but in a couple of days I can finally defend myself.

Anna was worried at first that I was going to hurt myself, but oh dear god, she hasn't met aunt Ophelia yet. Rich and most certainly upper class, but she still made my uncle teach her how to use a gun. And she enjoyed it. A lot. So her basement was already full with her prized collection by the time I made my way to the mansion. So I learned from her too, even though I didn't want to, considering it to be 'un-ladylike' . Thank god, she taught me some sense too.

After a surprisingly uneventful week I get a small note brought to my desk at work. A bit confused, due to the lack of people who might write to me in Birmingham, I open it.

Meet me at the Garrison at seven?
AS

That was all. A simple question from none other than Arthur Shelby. I instantly thought of No, I'm not doing this , but then something else popped into my mind. I wanted a way to find out more about the brothers' bussiness and Arthur could be just the one I needed. Something stung in my chest thinking I was going to use someone like that, but who knew, maybe I would actually end up liking his company.

Since I figured this is my first date in like four years, I decided to dress nice for once. After a bit of struggling, I get my only pretty dress clean and dry. A long-sleeved simple bodice, but the skirts accentuates my hips and behind nicely. Plus that I look good in that light blue. I just brush my hair and adorn it with a matching piece of ribbon. I wonder for a while if I should bother with jewelry, but that'll sure be a magnet for hungry eyes on the streets. Finally I decide on a simple silver necklace with a small wing pendant. Probably not the best choice since it's actually the only thing I have left from my parents, but it somehow manages to calm me down when my anxiety decides to kick in out of nowhere. Anyway, it'll be easy to hide under the high collar of my coat so I decide to keep it.

The Garrison is just as unpleasant as the last time and I really doubt I will even be able to hear Arthur in this noise. Before I can sense it, a warm palm rests on my lower back and the Shelby brother guides me to a table. I sit carefully not to touch anyone since the pub is so crammed. Arthur evaluates me from head to toe and then smiles broadly. Oh god, I think he already had a couple of drinks.

I force a small smile on my face and order a drink.
"You look beautiful tonight. Much better than last time" he says.
"Much better than after almost getting raped and killed on the streets, yeah I hope so." I respond while trying to figure out what to do with my hands.

My drink arrives at last and I take a long seep. Seeing that Arthur is too busy trying not to stare I try to make some conversation.
"So how come you decided to invite me here today? I haven't seen you in weeks."
"Well you caught my attention since the first day, but I needed to grow some balls and ask you out." he answers looking at his drink rather then me now.
"And that took a while."

I don't want to make him incomfortable, so let's feed his ego then.
"Oh, but from what I've heard the Peaky Blinders aren't afraid of anything and anyone. And they do whatever they want just beacause they can."

He smiles almost shyly.
"You're not wrong. But it's harder to act like that when it's about something you actually care about".

Again he doesn't meet my stare.
I am confused. So he's not an egoistic bastard that thinks he's entitled to everything like his brother? Did I misjudge him?
"Oh" I say just so that I can break that awkward silence.

The rest of the night isn't half as bad as I expected it. He asks me about what I did during the war. This way I find out that I was right and all three brothers fought in France, but not many details since it's clear he doesn't like the subject. He tells me about the family's gambling bussiness, and how almost none of it is legal. I don't dare to ask about the incident with the police yet, maybe he'll figure out I just want information. When he starts showing that the alcohol got to his head I try to go home, but he insists on talking for a while more. After another drink, which I advised strongly to refuse, he falls head first onto the table.

So the ending was shit, but at least now I know something about the brothers. Not a complete waste of time then.
The drawback is that I have to walk home alone, through the dark and dressed like a pretty girl. Just great.

I try to walk as fast as possible without actually running. I even go around some streets just to avoid some shady-looking men. When I have just two more blocks and I'm home I hear the whistles. I prey to God that they won't follow me, but they inssist.
"That is a pretty dress girl"
"Perfect for a pretty girl Mark"
Two to one then. My heart is racing like crazy, but I have to appear calm. I keep walking until one of them starts running after me. His steps are echoing against the cobblestones and I'm afraid to turn and face him.

But I am not helpless. My gun is safely tucked in my coat. As the 'Big Running Man' gets closer, I turn. He grabs me by the hair but I try to kick him. That earns me a slap, but his momentum causes him to lose balance and I take advantage of that. I escape swiftly from his grip and my elbow makes a hollow thud when it meets his temple. He loses conciousness immediately, but his friend is just behind.

I pull my gun on him, but he doesn't slow down. Instead he laughs.
"What are you going to do? Shoot me?"
My fear turns into anger that roars at me to shoot him in the face. But I am not a killer and I don't wish to become one now. I shoot him in the leg, and as he falls I kick him hard in the balls.
"You call yourself men, but you're nothing more than horny animals."

I straighten my hair and clothes and put my gun back. As I turn to leave them lying in the middle of the steet I hear a slow clap. A silhouette emerges from a shadowed alley and I recognise it. Damn it, I've had enough bullshit for one night.

"Well that was something worth watching" says Thomas Shelby in his raspy voice and I swear I can hear him smirk.