Chapter Eight

John brings our carriage back and we're on our way in no time. The brothers keep talking faster than I can follow so I just try to ignore them. The road gets darker as we're closing in to our destination.

The Shelby family's home. I didn't expect that from this night. I just hope that Tommy isn't there, because that would be kind of annoying. We stop in front of a row of identical smoked grey doors. Arthur opens it and urges me in.

"Make yourself comfortable. If you need anything, there's the kitchen" he says painting to a darkened room behind the corner." If you want to lay down for a while you can use my room, second door on the right" he continues turning toward a narrow hall.
"Alright"
"Are you sure you'll be ok?" he asks warily.
"Please. Who could actually have the nerve to come here?" I say and grab his arm. "Stop worring, will ya?"
"Fine. I'll make it up to you Eve, I swear."

Arthur kisses my cheek lightly and then he's gone.

I go to the kitchen to see if I can find the alcohol I'm sure it's hidden somewhere. The kitchen is a fairly small room,clean and tidy, but the booze is nowhere to be found. I settle on a glass of warm water and make my way to the bedroom.

I think the drinks I've had earlier are finally going to my head, because I can't seem to remember what Arthur told me about his bedroom. Too tired and dizzy to bother thinking, I open the first door on the coridor, but stop suddenly when I behold the room. Or actually who is there.

This beautiful black haired man is sleeping, his chest bared and his right hand clutches the gun resting on the nightstand. Tommy. I mean Thomas Shelby. What am I doing here?

I close the door silently and lean on the other side of the wall. My face is flushed and I hear the chaotic pulsing of my heart. What am I doing?

I go into Arthur's room this time and lay on the bed. Arthur. The harsh man that, still, behaved unbelievably nice with me. And I stared at his naked sleeping brother. But he did abandon me two times now on our dates. Then why am I feeling so guilty for opening the wrong door, big deal. But he actually got blackout drunk the first time so I had to abandon him and also almost got in trouble.

Among my very loud thoughts I hear sounds like a room were being thrashed. A labored breathing comes from the middle of the mess and a small sqeal, like a wounded animal.

Is that Tommy? No, not my bussiness. Maybe he woke up and is looking for something. Maybe he's having a bad dream. Yeah, just a nightmare.

God, a nightmare. One of Tommy's nightmares. I stand up before I know it and rush to his room.

The blanket is tangled between his legs and now I can see his exposed back. He's sweating and thrashing and clutching his pillow like a life saver. The gun has been thrown in a corner at least. Now I can understand that the squeakly noises were actually words. Pleading words.
"Make it stop, please, make it stop"

I watch in shock as his body tenses like a bow and a soft cry escapes his lips.

I can't just stand here, God. I move quickly to the head of the bed, sit beside him and grab his shaking hand.
"It's ok, you're okay, you got out."
I put my other hand on his forehead to try and soothe him. He tries to turn away from my touch, but I grab his face and say "You're out, you made it."
He stops trying to shake me off and I lean down so that my forehead is now touching his. We're a breath away and if he would open his eyes I would be literally staring into his soul.
With a last effort to calm him I whisper right on his lips "You made it out Tommy"

As if at the sound of his name he sighs and his eyelids flutter. Slowly he opens his eyes. God damn me for using his name like that, but God, those baby blue eyes looked at me for a second, but I swear I saw relief and gratitude shining there.

Realizing how close we had been sitting I take my hands off him, and motion to the door. As I'm turning, he grabs my hand softly.
"Eve?"
He still has that sleepy deep voice.

I'm dating his brother dammit. Stop it.

"Yes. I was just..Arthur had to leave..I was in his bedroom and.. heard you. Sorry, I'll just go wait for him elsewhere, maybe go home. Bye"
I try to get my hand free, but he is now holding it tightly.
"Wait, slow down. Don't apologize for fucks sake. Sit"
He pats the empty side of the bed. I do what he says, but just because he has my hand. That thought doesn't seem so bad right now. Oh, wait but it is, I'm dating his brother.
"I am sorry you had to see me like this. If I let go of your hand, promise me you won't run away?"
I nod and he rubs his eyes with the back of his hands and exhales deeply.

He looks so different from the Thomas Shelby I first met, all dressed up and a mask that imposes respect. So cold and uncaring, looking down on everyone. But now, he's just Tommy. A traumatized boy who still has bleeding wounds from a war he didn't choose to fight in. But he did, for his country and family, and all he got are sleepless nights and haunted dreams.

"Are you better now?" I ask warily.
"Well I'm not stuck in a tunnel with the sound the pickaxes getting closer and closer ringing in my head, that's an improvement I guess." he says exhaling loudly.
"Do you need anything? Maybe some water?" I ask, now aknowledging his soaked body. And the fact that he has just that thin blanket covering him.

God picks favourites and I can tell that only by the way his body is built. Solid yet suple muscles are contured on his abdomen and his arm veins are poping out, showing the strength he holds in them.

He looks down at himself as if now realizing he's basically naked with his big brother's date, in his room and in his bed. I'm not entirely sure, but there may be a blush creeping on his cheeks.

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead and I'll be there in a second"
I don't need to be told twice, so I scurry to the kitchen and pour two glasses of water. He comes in a short while after me, now wearing a pair of grey pants and a loose shirt. He drinks the glass in one sip and then leans against the arcade marking the entrance.

There's an awkward pause after a quick exchange of looks.
"Thanks, for what you did there"
"No problem Tommy"
He looks up again at the mention of his name.
"What?" I ask a bit annoyed by the way he glances at me.
He smirks and pours himself another glass, this time he pulls out a half empty whiskey bottle.
"Nothing. I just like it"
I frown a little confused.
"What, your name?"
"No, dummy. I like the way you say it"
There again, that easy approachable guy, not the stiff Shelby. I don't know how to respond so I laugh.

I realize he's been staring at me this whole time and stand up suddenly.
"I really want to go home, it's late."
He stares into nothing as if deciding something and then says "Fine, let me just take my coat"
"Oh, but no, I can walk alone. Thank you, but there's no need to bother"
"No problem Eve" he says and I realize he reciting my words from earlier. "I could use some fresh air"

And so he walks me home without any incident. We're again in that silence, but this time it feels comforting, as though we understand each other without any words.

The night is warm and the sky is clear, so you can spot a few flickering stars. I actually stop as we pass by the river to admire their  reflection. Tommy doesn't say a word, just watches silently the stars with me.

When we reach my doorstep I am so eager to get a minute away from his overwhelming presence, but still wanting to walk all of Birmingham's streets together. We mutter a soft 'good night' to each other and them I turn to unlock my door.

My head is a chaos of Tommy and Tommy's eyes and voice and body and smile. But there is still something bothering me.
Im dating his brother.
I turn suddenly to find him standing in the same place and watching me.
"Tell Arthur I was tired and wanted to go home if he asks"
His eyes darken a bit, or maybe they are just shadowed by the dim street lights. He turns his gaze away from me and says "Yeah, sure. Arthur"
I thought I heard a note of sadness in his voice, but again I was too exhausted to tell.

As I lay in my bed now, not yet asleep because I keep thinking about this day and Tommy and Arthur and... what's right I guess.

I am dating Arthur.
But am I really though? I think not anymore. Not when I finally fall asleep thinking how those blue eyes sparkled when he whispered 'good night'.