Chapter Thirteen

I came to this city looking forward to living the dream, a new house, a career, maybe even a lover if I were lucky enough. But karma's a bitch and the dream is just a fantasy that can no  longer comfort me.

I stay inside for a couple of days, maybe it's been a week. I want to get up and go to work, I want to keep my mind occupied with something. But I can't even gather the nerve to move more than from the bedroom to the bathroom and to the kitchen once a day. I finished every single bottle of alcohol yesterday and all that remains  are the pieces of broken glass in the living room.

But today something changes. Someone knocks at my door. No one cares enough to come visit me, damn, even I don't care about myself. I open the three new locks I had fixed right that night. I open the door and there stands Tommy, suited up and looking, well, like a snack...I mean a gentleman. In comparison to me, pijama-needs-a-shower lady.

"What do you want?". I have to get rid of him.
"Well I stopped by your work and no one had any idea where you were so-"
"Soo my prince in shining armour came to check on me. How sweet" I shouldn't be this mean, but I haven't had any human interaction in days.

"Yeah, you could say so, but I bring some bad news. I don't think princes do that. Your boss said you're fired-"
I stop listening after that. I lost my job. It's my fault, I know, but I knew it would get better and I could go back.

Some of my devastation may be viabile on my face, but Tommy doesn't look away.
"But I come here with an offer"
I scoff.
"What could you possibly have to offer me?" I say raising my eyebrow.
"A job"

I stare for a few seconds before I turn and head to the kitchen; I need a coffee to get though with this.
"You've got to be kidding me" I say under my breath.
I don't invite him in, but he follows me anyway.
"I don't want any of your dirty money"
"Well you see, there's the thing" he pours himself a cup of coffee "I don't want dirty money anymore, I want to legalize some of my bussinesses"

I really don't think he is telling the truth, but still, I hesitate.
"And what am I supposed to do. I'm a seamstress"
"Exactly that. We need to look the part if we're going to become honest bussinesmen."
"So let me get this straight; you came all the way to my house to offer me a pity job after I was fired. And now you want me to come and what, sew suits for you and your brother-" my voice dies. I clear my throat and try again.
"Your brothers. Did Arthur put you up to this?"

He remains silent for a moment.
"Look, I know what happened and I tried to make it up to you"
I frown and take a long sip before I answer.
"There something wrong about this and your lies can't hide it. Tell me the truth or I'm straight up just refusing the job."
He sighs. Then the slightest bit of emotion is gone from his face.
"Fine. Arthur feels bad and I thought that maybe you two should talk"

I look him dead in the eyes.
"First of all, you are in no position to decide what I am supposed to do; I'll talk to him on my own terms" I take my time swallowing the last sip of coffee.
"And second of all, you don't give a crap about what happened between us."
"Well, I thought I didn't, but him being distracted is affecting bussines. I can't afford that" he says seriously.

As I had thought. All that matters is money, money and more money.
"So you came all the way here, to convince me to work for you so that Arthur would stop being distarcted. But I would be around all the time. You really didn't think this through"
I smirk.
"Oh, so we're being a smartass today, I get it. Look, I need a seamstress, a good one. And Arthur needs to talk about whatever that was and get back to bussines"

I am starting to be kind of short on money, and the only thing that's keeping me aflow is my morning coffee and cigar. Which I take out of the pack and light it, before I can answer Tommy.

"I agree-"
"I knew you would" he says and heads to the door " You are starting tomorrow and I'll expect you at 8 sharp at my place". He reaches for the doorknob, but I cut his way.
"I wasn't finished. I agree, but on my terms"
I told him how much I will get paid for working five days a week. He makes a sour face, but nods.
"I would also appreciate if you three could come to my place tomorrow morning to get you measured up. I'm not about to walk half of Small Heath just for that. And after, I won't bother you much"

He doesn't say anything else, except he walks out the door and he's gone on the foggy streets. I take a moment to understand what I just said yes to. I am desperate. Desperate and pathetic. Working for the man that assaulted me, I should be ashamed.

But I guess I just don't care enough. And starting tomorrow I'll be a small part of the Peaky Blinders, one of Birmingham's most renewed gangs. Mom, dad, you should be proud. I followed your steps after all.