Chapter Twelve

It's late. I can easily say that from the anemic rays of sun that have made their way through the dusty windows.  The sun doesn't show its face until the first batch of fresh smoke from the factories has dispersed, so I assume it's about ten in the morning.

I stand up to quickly and the ground shifts so I grab the bedframe for support. I was supposed to sleep on a couch last night, wasn't I? I take a glace at the crumpled sheets and it all comes crashing right back in. Also those drinks were pretty strong so I complete the package with being hungover. Great.

I make my way to the bathroom to get myself cleaned up before anyone has the pleasure to lay their eyes on me. And when I finish I, of course, go out scouting for food. And there, leaning casually on the countertops I can admire, again and again, that sculpted body. God picks favourites, I swear on my parents' grave.

"Well look who's up. Goodmorning sunshine!" he smirks.
"I don't want to talk about it, alright? I don't regret what hapenned, but no"
He nods as if to prove my point of no talking and hands me a steamy mug of coffee.
"Maybe some brains will be awakened by it, since you lost every single one of them last night"
And he's back.

I take a long sip, actually burning my tongue a little, but I don't let any trace of that show on my face.
"Can't you just be emphatic for a day? It lasts like what, a night, so you can get laid?"
"I don't even know what am I supposed to be emphatic for"
"Oh, shut it. Like it wasn't clear enough that I was miserable"
I believe we have started a blinking contest, but he looks away short after and drinks his own coffee.

More and more questions pop into my mind as it begins to untangle but- "Why are you still here?" I take a look around and spot even a plate pushed to the side of the table and stashed with what seems to be a nice breakfast. "Are you babysitting me?" Paranoia is like a cold bucket of water that someone sent down my spine "Did Arthur made you do this? Did he tell you to sleep with me last night too?"

He looks truly confused for a while "What does he- oh, are you still a thing or something? Shit, you cheated on him, with me?"
Now is his turn to look revolted. So he had no clue, didn't even care at all, so crisis anulled.
"We aren't, well we weren't anything before and after last night" I inhale the bitter smell of coffee "after last night we sure as hell aren't a goddamn thing"

Tommy sits at the table, lights a cigar and hands me the plate. I eat quickly and without asking he gives me the pack. We smoke in a dead silence, but
it's better than talking about what we've done, or his brother or any other subject that could make me collapse again. I suddenly remember that I am late to work, but none of that seems to matter anyway.

"Well as much as I have enjoyed myself last night" he says with an incredulous look "I have businesses that need to be taken care of"
This would be a perfect opportunity to dig a little deeper into the Shelby's secrets, but I am in no mood for that.

Tommy leaves without saying anything else, so not long after I gather my things and head home. Can I call it home anymore? I don't think so. Without realizing it I take a longer way to my apartament, but I am finally here.

That's the door he opened last, that's the wall the pushed me against. I rush through the hallway to get away from all of those, but then something catches my eye; a coat, a man's coat in my house. I stop frozen and my mind is rushing with the worst scenarios. But the worst is yet to come.

And I realize that, as Arthur steps from my kitchen and smiles, after everything, he smiles at me!?
"You're home, I was so worried, all night long, I didn't know what to do bab-"

I slap him. Hard. Right across the face. And I feel so satisfied when he blocks there, in utter shock.
"Don't you dare call me that you piece of shit! Get out of my house!"
I would like to say I was the bigger person, that I acted calmly and everything, but I wasn't. I couldn't.

"But wha-why, what's wrong Eve?"
"I am not the one supposed to teach you that when a woman says stop you stop, you asshole. Now, get out of my house!"
I can't understand if he acts so dumb or if he actually is.

"Is this about that? Really? God women are so sensitive and when you try to give them what they want-"
I take a step closer.
"What you're going to slap me again? Go ahead, I don't feel a thing you weak bitch"
"Get the fuck out of my house Arthur!" I spit in his face. Not very lady like, but I don't give a crap anymore.

I walk past him without a glance and wait in the kitchen to hear the door shut. I'll have to get the locks replaced. Again.