Chapter Three

A few seconds of awkward silence fly by and I'm still trying to understand that one of the "bad guys" just helped me. Maybe the Peaky Blinders were just rumors after all.

"You look pretty shaken up. You're new here or you should be used to this by now" he says moving to get past me and continue on his way, but I feel like there's something else he wishes to say.
"I used to live here but then, things changed you know" I say careful not to let any important information about me slip. Knowing my name is enough, I don't wish to be associated with one of the Shelbys, be the rumors true or not.
"Then let me show you around a bit, eh? Would you like a drink at the best pub in Small Heath?" he asks with a grin.

I honestly just want to rest and get away from all the creepy men of Birmingham, but my mind is roaring with thoughts. A drink might help ease it a bit, even though I know what Arthur Shelby sees. A naive damsel, freaked out by a couple of Small Heath's finest shitheads, ready to get drunk and be dragged into his bed.

I swear I'm not stupid but I really need a drink so I accept his offer.

We are walking in silence, just listening to the heavy thuds coming from the factories that never cease their work. Arthur is not a talkative one, that much I can tell, but he is a hard-worker and I can be sure of that by how calloused his hands are. What kind of work, well that I don't know but I hope I might find out. If not only for the promised drink, I'm also following him driven by my curiosity to learn more about this strange family.

I don't need to wait long, because we are soon stopping in front of a dirty pub called "The Garrison". It is literally screaming Small Heath and it's exactly what I expected. The floor is covered in dried blood, ale and some crumbles of food. Crammed with drunk men shouting and fighting and gambling, The Garrison is just like the places I used to think were the most fun in my teenage years.

Arthur leads me to a separated area, if I wasn't already convinced of their sway here by the long looks I got from the entrance. Behind some glass doors awaits a table with two men dressed similarly with Arthur. Fitted suits with shiny buttons and the unmistakable peaked hats. One of them wears it turned to the side, no idea why, it just makes him look even more stupid.

"Evelyn these are my brothers. Boys, she is my guest so play nice."
The one with the turned hat gets up and extends his hand. "John Shelby. A pleasure to meet such a beautiful lady" he says, shamelessly checking me out from head to toe. He throws me a crooked grin then continues to drink the beer that was waiting on the table.

The second one doesn't get up, nor motion to shake my hand. He just puts out his cigarette and nods his head "Thomas Shelby".

Of all the three of them Arthur is surely the oldest, but somehow Thomas just looks like he owns everyone and he knows it. Arthur brings me a drink and I try to take a better look at the brothers.

They were both soldiers, I call tell what the shadows in a man's eye say even when they think they are in control. John has a childlish face even though he has been through a lot. He was forced to grow up too soon, and I think they didn't have a strong father figure growing up either.

Thomas on the other hand doesn't give a shit about anything else than his bottle of whiskey almost empty lying on the floor or his pack of cigarettes. He watches the smoke drift lazily away and when his head turns I can see clearly those blue eyes. Such harshness there is in his stare I can't begin to imagine what lead to it.

"So how did our brother manage to get such a pretty girl in this filthy pub" asks John leaning to be closer to me.
"Well actually he chased away a couple of drunks who wouldn't leave me alone". I realize how whiny I sounded too late. But Arthur just leans closer to me and smiles.
"Well you should know better than to walk alone at night through the streets of Small Heath" he says with a snort. "The only women out after dawn are the ones who do not wish to be left alone" he continues with a smirk.

I am already a bit dizzy from the alcohol in my body, but it just sounded like he called me a whore.
"I beg your pardon?"
"He thinks you're a whore. Are you?". Well that was straight forward, but at least I understand that quickly about Thomas Shelby.

I tried to control the heat spreding to my cheeks, but I'm sure they noticed.
"Hey Tommy, why don't you go for a walk and stop bothering my guest." says Arthur frowning at him. Thomas gets up and adds "Don't make too much noise tonight and maybe I'll forget about it in the morning".

"I'm not a whore" I say biting in the words.
"Oh, I know. That's what all of you say. Actually, I will leave my room unlocked maybe you want to come by after you two finish." he murmurs, but I hear him and stand up.
"How dare you.." I try to say, but he just walks away without looking back.

Arthur stands up beside me and tries to grab my elbow "Don't you worry. Tommy is a dick with everyone.."
I don't let him finish and nearly shout "Oh, you mean with every one of your whores?"
"No, I didn't think..Why don't we go somewhere private and talk for a while, I think you need some more booze."
"No, I don't" I snap. "I am going home"
I move for the door, but Arthur blocks my way "You'll need a companion or someone will try to pull the same shit like earlier."
"Thanks for your concern, but I'll take the risk" I say making my way around him. I turn one last time to see John trying to hold in his laughter.
"Glad to see someone's having fun. It was a true pleasure to meet the famous Shlebys" I say softly with a strained smile.
"Hope to see you around more darling" adds John raising his hat as a salute.

As I am exiting the pub I hear John's booming laughter. "You really know how to choose them, don't you?". I hear some glass breaking but it's not my problem so I continue my fast pace towards my so called home.

God, these men really are some special kind of pricks.