Chapter Ten

I don't feel the cold, I don't feel the wind pinching my exposed feet. I don't feel my hands trembling trying to keep the coat tight around my body.
I don't feel the tears until I can't see the street.
I can't feel the cobblestones through the thin soles of my worn boots as I start running as far away as my strenght will take me.

I stop to catch my breath and lean on a smoke-blackened building. A small noise escapes from my lips and I cover my mouth to keep everything inside. I take a deep breath and suddenly I recognize my surroundings. I head towards the willow and collapse on the soft grass. I watch quietly as the water reflects the stars and it's like a thousand little suns decided to give me a secret show. They spin and dance and twirl like gracious ballerinas. And I can't even offer them a smile. I think about jumping into the water, maybe it'll wash everything away.

I try to take in the night air, forget the past hour, but my brain refuses to cope and all I can feel are his hands on me. Touching hungryly while I urge him to stop. Stop it. I have to stop it. I don't want to feel anymore.

I get up warily, already feeling dizzy but this will be just another mistake added to the list. I wipe my redened cheeks and head towards the Garrison.

Of course the bar is still awake, so I enter and head directly to the counter. Halfway there and I realize I am still dressed in my short nightgown and the coat doesn't provide any extra coverage. I dismiss the whistles and the inappropiate things shouted from across the room and take a seat at the bar.

"Whiskey" I order.
The bartender looks me up and down and smirks "Rough night?"
"Shut up and give me my drink"
"Sure thing, my lady" he says and hands me the glass.
I drink it in one gulp and ask for another one.

A guy already reeking of alcohol makes his way towards me. I look the other way, but he gets closer and touches my arm "What a pretty doll you are"
I flinch and shove his hand away. "Piss off" I say, taking another glass.
"Oh come on princess. I am sure you're looking for some company"
I am so done listening to men that think they know anything about women. I am tired of letting them think they are better.

I don't even care anymore so what if I punched him right now. So that is what I do. I hear a crunch as my fist collides with his nose and my knuckles begin to burn. The whole room is silent for more than would be comfortable, but then the laughing starts. He looks at me as disbelief, shock and finally anger cross his face.
I see him flexing his fingers but before he can do anything a man comes between us.

"I think that will be enough for tonight. Get out". The man isn't convinced at first, but in the end he ends the show with a language worth of Small Heath's reputation.
When I recognize the voice it's my turn to laugh. Everyone was already staring at me so what difference does it make. I take another whiskey and gulp it down before he can take it from me.

"And that's enough for you too" says Tommy as he turns to me.
"Oh, really? Says who?" I say staring straight into his eyes.
"Me and maybe some morals that clearly got lost along the way here. I wouldn't do that if I were you" he says  tilting his head towards my next glass, already waiting.
"Well you aren't" I sip it in one mouthful and enjoy the slight sting and warmth that relaxes my limbs.

"Alright, get up, you're embarassing"
"Oh I am so sorry Mr. Shelby" I say giggly "Did I make you uncomfortable? In front of other people? Welcome to the life of every woman on this goddammed world jerk"
I can see him tensing underneath the jacket, but his face is just a stone cold as the dead. Classic.
"You're embarassing yourself. Come on Eve" he says tugging gently on my arm.

It may be due to the fact that he is the only man who has treated me like a human being in the last 24 hours or it may just be the booze, but I follow him out of the bar. Even he looks a bit surprised at that, but continues to guide me through the labirinthic streets of Birmingham.

We stop in front of a old-looking building. I haven't been in this part of town before and I am curious if this is one of their secret hideouts. Tommy enters a dimly-lit foyer that opens into a crammed living room on the right and a rather spacious bedroom on the left.

"What is this place?" I ask taking a few steps.
"None of your bussines" he says sharply. He takes off his coat and heads towards the back of this apartment.
"Then why did you bring me here?"
I can hear the water running so I assume there's the bathroom.
"I have my own reasons"
I admire the sculpted furniture in the living room, but my mind whispers that there must be some more drinks stashed here.
"Can you stop pretending to be Mr mysterious for one minute and be honest?" I yell across the room.
He appers in the doorway and frowns
"Keep it down, will ya? You sleep on the couch, I'll be in the bedroom" he says and turns away.

"Oh god. You really can't answer a question." Only when I collapse on the couch I realize how exhausted I am. But I can't let my mind roam, I have to keep it occupied, otherwise the dam won't hold for long. I am about to make another mistake for the night.

I enter the bedroom.