Chapter Nine

I didn't drink enough last night to be hungover now, but somehow I am still dizzy. My head is a endless pit of thoughts each one trying to get on top and catch my attention. But my mind wonders aimlessly as I recall last night's events.

I should end it with Arthur. But really what is there to end, is not like we're some sort of couple now. But what if Tommy starts behaving like a jackass again, I'll lose both my ways of getting information about the city and the occasional slips about the gang. But, I would also feel awful if I keep giving Arthur hopes that there is actually something between us.

I head to work and focus on sewing, trimming and choosing between shiny fabrics for the next couple of hours. While I am in the middle of packing an order my boss hurries to my desk and whispers "My office, now."

I am confused and not one good reason comes to mind as to why this is happening. But as soon as I glance at the straight suit and shiny shoes everything makes sense. My boss gestures me towards the door, while she remains in the hallway.

I straighten my skirt before facing Arthur.
"What the hell do you think you're doing here?" I say sharper than I intended.
"I had to check on you baby. I just left in such a rush" he explains softly.
I scoff. Baby. This is getting out of control.
"Look I am fine. You needn't have come all the way to my work, Arthur. People know your family and oh boy, are they going to talk"
"Well I don't care what others say"
"Well, pardon me, but I do. This is my job and I don't want everyone thinking I am another one of your skanks" . Why do I sound so whiny about this, I thought it didn't matter.
"But you know you're not"
"Doesn't help my situation. You have to leave-"
"But-" he starts
"Come by my place tonight"

That shuts his mouth. He motions to grab my hand and kisses it gently.
"Tonight then". He exists before I can say anything else.

The rest of the day I am followed by weird stares and whispers everywhere and by the time I finally go home my head is pounding. I shouldn't have invited him here tonight. Why would I do that? I don't want him in my house, I actually don't want any Peaky Blinder in it. A small voice in the back of my head whispers that Tommy has already been here, but I don't linger on that.

I will tell Arthur that I don't want this anymore and that is it. He will have to deal with that. But what if I somehow get closer to Tommy, won't it be weird? They are brothers after all. Still, not my problem, I just need the information.

I read in the stillnes of my home until I hear the soft knock on the door. I open it a few inches, enough for Arthur to slip in, but insufficient for any curious eyes to get anything. All I am wearing is a flimsy old nightgown and a thin robe over it. Some would call it scandalous, but I just say it's comfortable.

Arthur eyes my bare feet and clears his throat. He lingers on the hem that is hanging just above my knee. I don't quite like that look, hungry and a bit terrifying.
"Look Arthur we need to talk. What you did today, coming at my work, I don't like it and-"
"Oh, Eve. Shut up"

He grabs my face and our lips are suddenly touching. Actually clashing would be a better word. His lips are soft, but I still feel a sting when he bites my lower lip. I give in to his touch, wrapping my hands around his neck and closing the distance between us. He encircles my waist with a hand while the other goes higher and higher up my thigh.

I suddenly realize that he didn't come here to talk as I thought he would. I can see the context though, a pretty girl invites him over, at night, if course there's only one thing on his mind.

Arthur pins me against the wall and starts to deepen our kisses. His hands wander on my body and I can feel him everywhere. But then I realize this is not what I wanted. I break away from his lips and murmur.

"Arthur, stop". No reaction, he continues to plant kisses along my jaw, my neck, my shoulder.
"I said stop". The air has become suffocating and I try to shove him away so that I can brethe properly.
"Oh baby, this is exactly what I want" he whispers into my ear.
"But not what I want. Get off me!", my voice has pitched and I start trembling with nerves. His hand still wanders on my thigh, and up my nightgown now.

I scream on the inside. I hit him hard in the leg and he loses his balance for a second. I move quickly and make a run for the door. I grab my coat and boots and dissapear into the dark alleyways before he has a chance to stand up.