Lost

HMS Prince of Wales P.O.V

"What do you mean you lost him!?!" My voice resonated through the room as I shouted into the phone. Each of the several ships that surrounded my desk grew shocked at my sudden outburst.

"I'm sorry Wales," I listened to Hood say on the other end of the call. "He was thrown into the sea when the Sakura Empire; attacked we haven't found him anywhere."

"Then keep searching! I'll be sending some submarines to join you!" I snapped my fingers and waved my hand toward the door to one of the ships. She quickly nodded and rushed out of the office. 

"I'm sorry Wales, but—" Hood tried to speak when I cut her off.

"But nothing! You have to find him!" I gave her no chance to speak before hanging up with a tremble in my hands.

"W-What's the problem ma'am?" One of the ships carefully asked me.

While letting out a sigh, my head fell into my hands. "Just leave me."

In front of me, I listened to the concerned whispering of the ships while they obeyed my request. The hushed voices and feet grew distant as the door was closed upon their exit.

He's alive. He can swim, right? After all, he is the commander of a navy. But with his arm the way it is? What am I saying? He's stubborn. He can survive, can't he?' 

My mind began to race, letting several different thoughts spin within my head like a broken record player scratching its inadequate disc. Though I was not aware at first, I felt water on my cheek as I began to think of the horrid possibility that he never saved himself. If that were the case, what would the Maple Monarchy do without his intellect? What would the ships do without his encouraging words? What would I do without him studying the problems at hand?

How long can humans even survive stranded at sea? Bugger me, I had warned him! I BLOODY WARNED HIM! WE ALL DID!! That daft fool just doesn't listen to a word we have to say!

A sigh escaped my lips as the mixed emotions of sadness and anger ran their course. It's as if that gormless twit didn't even care for his own safety. Who am I kidding? He doesn't!
That man just throws himself into the thick of it without a second thought and when I or any of us object, his stupid response is simply 'It's my duty' like the muppet he is. Foolish.

What about the ships he has to command? What are they going to do without him? What about the friends he will leave? Must he abandon them so thoughtlessly?

"Goodness me, are you alright Wales? A voice had me flinch in surprise as it broke through the silence. Quickly wiping my eyes, I looked up to see Illustrious standing at the door, which I had never heard open. Behind her legs, I spotted Unicorn's figure looking on with worry in her eyes.

Initially, I didn't respond. Instead, I opted to straighten myself up, hoping to look a little more presentable than whatever wreck they first witnessed, "There's been an incident. Thompson was thrown overboard when Hood's patrol came under attack four hours ago. They have yet to find any sign of him since." My words cracked.

"What—?" 

My heart sank as I recognized a new voice. I looked on to see Illustrious shift and reveal the cruiser Ontario standing behind her. "T-There has to be something. He can't just disappear." Her mouth tried to form a reassuring smile, yet her trembling lips betrayed her image. I wanted to share some encouraging words, as I knew how attached she was to him. But, much like my own attempts moments ago, none would form in my head. Instead, I could only sit and watch her wavering expressions. My hesitation to speak only saddened her further, and she shook her head before sprinting off. 

Illustrious watched as Ontario ran down the hall before speaking. "Four hours gone? He's only human, not to mention the—"

"Just stop it! I snapped at her attempt to face the facts. Next to her, Unicorn jumped at the volume of my sharp words which quickly enveloped me in guilt. "We don't know anything right now." Unicorn shifted further behind Illustrious ever so slightly.

"I'm sorry Wales," Illustrious apologized.

I let a sigh escape from my lips as I stood up from my chair. "I must apologize as well. So, what initially brought you here?" 

"The patrol that responded to the distress call is heading back now. The call came from two Dragon Empery vessels locked in battle with a group of Sirens. One of the two had been badly injured, but—she is still afloat. They're bringing her back here for repairs." Illustrious followed me to the couches where she sat with the smaller carrier.

"Were they the Sakura Empire's Sirens?" I questioned her while taking a seat opposite the two.

"We don't have a clue. As a matter of fact, we don't know much more than what I've already said."

"Then, once they get settled in, we best question the Empary ships."

"Very well. We can inform Her Majesty once we meet with her later today." Illustrious finished off the conversation. After which, the room quickly submitted to an awkward silence while I became entangled in those endless thoughts once more. For what felt like a solid few minutes, this silence surrounded us before Illustrious eventually spoke up. 

"Not to worry Wales. If he is out there, he'll stay alive even past the breaking point." She seemed to notice my saddened expression. Next to her, Unicorn muttered something that couldn't be heard.

"What was that Unicorn?" Illustrious asked politely.

"He's a strong person. He can't just disappear."

Together, both Illustrious's face and my own lit up at the sound of her certainty. 

"She is not wrong; it's far too early to jump to conclusions. How foolish of me to do so." Illustrious commented as she stroked the back of Unicorn's head, forcing a smile.

"Perhaps you're right. There's always a chance until there isn't."

Illustrious nodded at my words before she stood up from her spot on the couch. Unicorn followed suit as Illustious motioned for her to do so before she looked back at me with a reassuring smile. "Don't let it get to you just yet Wales. Hang onto your hope."

I nodded, despite my mind continuing to overthink the entire situation. Illustrious took Unicorn's hand, and together they waved their goodbyes. leaving the office with the door closing softly behind her.

Another sigh then escaped from me as I leaned back into the couch and looked towards the ceiling. The beat in my chest quickened its pace, and I began to feel a knot form in my stomach the more I thought about the situation.

It was bound to happen at some point. Him being the idiot he is. Countless worries, countless warnings, and countless displays of stubbornness. What exactly went through his head to cause such stubbornness? Not only that, but this war just started. And already, we are missing a commanding officer. Worse, he's missing because of his own stupidity.

"Do you really not care about leaving the friends so close to you?" I voiced my thoughts as if I were talking directly to him. "Must you abandon them so effortlessly?"

"No, you wouldn't. That's not who you are. So get back to us. . ."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Edited:24/04/29)